You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Airport Express invalid IP address

I have an Airport Express that is connected through ethernet to my DSL modem (Zyxel C3000Z). It has been working fine for years. But lately the amber light has been blinking and I lose the Internet connection. I could restart it and it would connect again (green light) for days or weeks. But now it just won't connect. I can still connect my MacBook Pro and iPads to the Airport's WiFi network, but I don't get a connection to the Internet. The DSL modem shows a connection on the ethernet port, so it definitely sees the Airport.

When I use Airport Utility and look at the Airport Express settings, there is an error message saying it does not have a valid IP address. I have tried setting a static IP but I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right.

So my ultimate question is, is the Airport dead? Or is there something I can do to get it setup to work again?

I know I don't need to use the Airport's WiFi. I just prefer it to the Zyxel.

Thanks.

AirPort

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 8:45 AM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2024 12:09 PM in response to Scott Kopp

First thing to check is disconnect the Ethernet cable that connects the modem/router to the AirPort Express then plug it back into the AirPort Express. Do this 3-4 times to loosen any corrosion that might have accumulated on the very small tiny contacts of the Ethernet ports and plugs.

If no help, try another Ethernet cable to rule out the possibility of a defective Ethernet cable.

If still no help, perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Express and then set it up again using the same device name, wireless network name and password that you used before.

Post back if you need step by step setup instructions.

Sep 30, 2024 1:16 PM in response to Scott Kopp

I doubt that it will help, but as a last ditch effort, try a Factory Default Reset on the Express.

Power off the Express

Wait a minute

Hold in the reset button first....and keep holding the reset button in for another 10 seconds while you plug the power cord back into the Express

Release the reset button after 10 seconds

Wait a minute

Set up the Express again

If still no luck, you have a bad WAN "O" Ethernet port on the Express. Try the LAN <--> port instead of the WAN "O" port.

Unfortunately, the ports work in tandem when the Express is in Bridge Mode....as it is now...so if the WAN port is not working correctly, the LAN port won't either.

But....worth a try.

Airport Express invalid IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.