You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

after installing Ventura in my 2017 imac the Internal Disk called DATA is broken.

Hi. First of all, thank you in advance for reading.

I have a 2017 imac 27 inch 5k. I decided to install Ventura (after working always with High Sierra), which in theory is compatible, but when I did, each time I started the computer it took 20 minutes to boot.

I booted the computer on Safe Mode and saw that now it had two HDs, Normal and Data. I read that it was normal so I used First Aid on both.

The HD Data had an error and First Aid was unable to repair.

I erased the computer and repeated the process again 3 times. One of them I upgraded to Ventura before recovering from Time Machine, the other ones I did it normally.

Every single time I got the same error.

I took some photos of the error and I am putting them here. I don't know if that'd help but if someone has some knwoledge about this and would care to comment I'd appreciate it. :)

Thank you!

Best

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 7:24 AM

2 replies

Sep 30, 2024 7:52 AM in response to cgd11

This machine >> iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications comes with a Fusion Drive

Have been running macOS 10.13 High Sierra and then upgrading to macOS 13 Ventura

The installation should have Converted the Fusion Drive from the older HFS Journaled fort to the required APFS format

If should also have maintained the Fusion Drive intact

Unfortunately, doing the Drive conversion process.

It may have broken, the Magic of Apple, which is fusing the SSD drive and the Rotational to appear as a Single Macintosh HD drive

How to fix a split Fusion Drive

Oct 1, 2024 2:27 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi.

Thank you for your answer.

Reading your link I see that the issue you expain appears in the Finder but I think that wasn't my case. It only appeared like two Disks once you opened the Utility Disk.

I am not sure if it's the same error! (maybe it is though I will try to check that).

Thanks

after installing Ventura in my 2017 imac the Internal Disk called DATA is broken.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.