You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Playback great in iMovie, but once exported the lowered volume appears loud again!

The movies I make are straight forward video clips, some only one reel, and others no more than 4 reels. I use my music to add a background audio but lower the volume to 3% so that it is just softly playing and you can still hear the video audio. However, once I export it away from imovie, for example onto social media platforms, the volume blasts out so loudly that you have to switch the volume off and therefore miss the video audio. Is there a work around for this please?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 11:48 AM

1 reply

Oct 2, 2024 9:03 AM in response to Stressed Mum

Hi,

Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause export problems. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures the issue.

To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. (To reopen your old library close iMovie and go to your Movie folder or wherever you have your old iMovie library stored. Double click on the library’s icon.  iMovie will open in that library.) Now see if you can export at the proper volume. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Playback great in iMovie, but once exported the lowered volume appears loud again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.