You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 16 Pro trouble editing Live Photos

First if anyone reading this is considering upgrading to the iPhone 16 pro … don’t. More issues in the first 5 days than I’ve had in years with an iPhone 11 (yes, 11!)

When editing photos, I am not able to edit if I have changed the key photo of a Live Photo. The photos app completely shuts down after a few seconds and doesn’t save any changes you may have made. Reached out to apple support, after hours of diagnostics, I was told there was no issue. Brought it to T-Mobile where I bought the phone, they determined that phone was a lemon and gave me a new one. So I’m on my second iPhone 16 Pro within five days and still having the same issue - not being able to edit Live Photos if I change the key photo. The battery also dies, can’t get through a full day without having to charge it. so so so so so disappointed.

iPhone 16 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 6:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 3:59 AM

I also experience this problem.

To be more specific. For me changing the key frame of a live photo actually works, but if I right after having changed the key frame, try to hit the "Auto adjust" button the Photo app dies (instantly! not within a few seconds as you describe).

If I go back to the photo and revert the key frame change, the photo can be edited again. And here comes a few other interesting findings:

• If I open a picture taken with my iPhone 16 Pro from my old iPhone XS, guess what!? the problem is there too! The photo app crashes. I'm running iOS 18.0.1 on both phones.
  • If a take a photo with the iPhone XS and edit it on the same phone the problem is not there
  • If a take a photo with the iPhone XS and edit it on the same phone the problem is not there. If I open iPhone XS-photos on my iPhone 16 Pro the problem is not there
  • And guess what (again)!! If I open a photo taken with the iPhone 16 Pro on my Mac Mini (running Sequoia), the Photo app crashes immediately when I try to change the key frame.

Hence... The problem lies in the photos that the iPhone 16 creates. The camera produces photos that are corrupt in some way, or it has a data structure that cannot be interpreted by the photo apps on iPhone and Mac.

I'm a 1000% percent sure of that we are not just a few having this problem, and even more sure of that Apple knows that the problem exists....

I have reported the issue to "feedback.apple.com".

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2024 3:59 AM in response to Cloveeee

I also experience this problem.

To be more specific. For me changing the key frame of a live photo actually works, but if I right after having changed the key frame, try to hit the "Auto adjust" button the Photo app dies (instantly! not within a few seconds as you describe).

If I go back to the photo and revert the key frame change, the photo can be edited again. And here comes a few other interesting findings:

• If I open a picture taken with my iPhone 16 Pro from my old iPhone XS, guess what!? the problem is there too! The photo app crashes. I'm running iOS 18.0.1 on both phones.
  • If a take a photo with the iPhone XS and edit it on the same phone the problem is not there
  • If a take a photo with the iPhone XS and edit it on the same phone the problem is not there. If I open iPhone XS-photos on my iPhone 16 Pro the problem is not there
  • And guess what (again)!! If I open a photo taken with the iPhone 16 Pro on my Mac Mini (running Sequoia), the Photo app crashes immediately when I try to change the key frame.

Hence... The problem lies in the photos that the iPhone 16 creates. The camera produces photos that are corrupt in some way, or it has a data structure that cannot be interpreted by the photo apps on iPhone and Mac.

I'm a 1000% percent sure of that we are not just a few having this problem, and even more sure of that Apple knows that the problem exists....

I have reported the issue to "feedback.apple.com".

Oct 18, 2024 1:28 PM in response to rimforsajonas

Similar issues with editing photos. App instantly crashes when you try and change brightness for example. Turned phone off and on and seem to solve the problem but now after I edit a photo it freezes and doesn’t save. 2 weeks into owning the 16 pro max and it is by far the buggiest iPhone I’ve had. Any ideas or should I return the handset for a new one?

Sep 29, 2024 6:57 AM in response to Cloveeee

I have no such issues with my iPhone 16 Pro or iPhone 16 Pro Max. The battery on both phones is nothing short of amazing and to see, I just opened a live photo and had absolutely no issues editing it.

To suggest no one should buy one of the new iPhone's because you seem to be having an issue, when millions upon millions of them are now out in the wild is ridiculous.

Oct 18, 2024 6:16 PM in response to Cloveeee

I had the same problem. Spent 3 hours in the Apple Store. Tried several different phones and they all had the same problem. Try editing a photo after changing the initial photo in live and it would crash. I checked the display phones and they all did it too. Determined that the phones with the 18.0.1 all had the same exact problem. I ended up just returning the phone and going back to my old SE for now.

iPhone 16 Pro trouble editing Live Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.