You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

pages will not open template files

I have been using pages for years. I never store anything to icloud, nor have I ever had icloud turned on while using pages, nor have I changed my icloud settings lately. Suddenly, Pages seems to think that my personal templates are stored on icloud and I cannot open them. This was not an issue that I encountered upon opening Pages today; I was in the middle of using pages, after having used my personal templates, then suddenly it thought my templates were on icloud and I could not access them. I have never used icloud with pages, and I don't want to. I have now restarted Pages and I have restarted the computer, yet nothing works. How do I make Pages stop looking for the templates in icloud when I never stored them there in the first place?

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 4:29 AM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2024 5:57 AM in response to inkfountain

I think Apple yet again, has changed things in System Settings between Sequoia and Sonoma, so this may no longer be accurate for you in Sonoma. I no longer have Sonoma to verify. Quit Pages if it is running.

System Settings > Click your name/apple account > Saved to iCloud [See All]. Pages should be disabled.

Reboot and then launch Pages. You should see the Template Chooser and under My Templates, your local custom templates you have created.

Sep 30, 2024 6:50 AM in response to inkfountain

Pages would never store any user templates within its application bundle and you should stay out of there too.

Any Pages template that you have created should be found in the following location:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages/Data/Library/Application Support/User Templates

Press shift+cmd+G in the Finder, copy/paste the preceding path into the Go To Folder dialog, and then press return. That will open a new Finder Window on that folder location.

Sep 30, 2024 9:47 AM in response to VikingOSX

They aren't located in there. There are, however, two unidentifiable templates in there. I updated my system software and it still didn't work. So I turned on iCloud (why hadn't I done this before?) and found three of the missing templates, then turned iCloud off again, but the two most recent templates I made are absolutely and completely missing. This is plain annoying. I suppose there's nothing to be done about it.

pages will not open template files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.