You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Curved lines can't Move with Text in Pages

I'm trying have a graphic element move with text in a Pages document (and I'm not using page layout). This is discussed a bit on in a previous post, with useful detail from Barry, but it's closed for replies.

The new bit of info I have to add to that discussion is that the elements of my graphic element that can't Move with Text are the curved lines. See the graphic below.

All of the elements except the lines labeled MC and AC will accept the Move with Text setting. In the case of those two curved lines, the choice between Stay on Page and Move with Text (in the Formatting sidebar's Arrange pane) are greyed out.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 2:12 PM

Ok. I have just created a replica of your image using Pages v14.2 shape tool elements, selected all content of it, and using the Arrange menu, I grouped it. Placed in a body of text, it forces Object Placement > Stay on Page. You cannot change that.

However, if you select the grouped artwork and copy it to the clipboard, then launch Preview and use File menu > New From Clipboard… you get a transparent PNG image that can be saved to the Desktop.

When that transparent PNG is dropped into paragraphs of text, Object Placement has now changed to Move with Text and one can configure Text Wrap as appropriate. If you plan to flow text around that object, it would be better to use white-filled backgrounds in the individual shapes.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2024 2:12 PM in response to econupmac

Ok. I have just created a replica of your image using Pages v14.2 shape tool elements, selected all content of it, and using the Arrange menu, I grouped it. Placed in a body of text, it forces Object Placement > Stay on Page. You cannot change that.

However, if you select the grouped artwork and copy it to the clipboard, then launch Preview and use File menu > New From Clipboard… you get a transparent PNG image that can be saved to the Desktop.

When that transparent PNG is dropped into paragraphs of text, Object Placement has now changed to Move with Text and one can configure Text Wrap as appropriate. If you plan to flow text around that object, it would be better to use white-filled backgrounds in the individual shapes.

Sep 28, 2024 2:42 PM in response to VikingOSX

Nice work VikingOSX, by both replicating the issue and solving it. I mean, I wish I didn’t have to leave Pages to do it, and I’ll need a place to store this graphic in case I want to later modify it, but this solution will make editing the document easier with the (pasted image version) moving with the text. And of course, it’s not like anyone but Apple can address the non-functionality!

Curved lines can't Move with Text in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.