You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Transitioning from Adobe to FCP/Motion/Titles

Hi all, I haven't editing much in the past few years, getting back into it and will mainly be using footage from my Iphone. I have started out in the 90s with Final Cut but have spent the past 20 years in the Adobe world. My new company only uses Canva although we do have an Adobe licence. Thoughts on transitioning back to FCP and the Apple Ecosytem or staying in Adobe? I'm in my late 50s, just trying to figure out what would be best for this old brain. Any advice would be appreciated!

In a nutshell is there this kind of training to relearn the workflow?

Posted on Sep 27, 2024 2:10 PM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2024 3:10 PM in response to SandyGMcB

FCP is easy as all get out to learn. Cheaper than the Adobe subscription model in the long run, by thousands of dollars. But it is all personal preference. Which ever you feel like you want to invest your time in. If you do go with FCP and the Apple pro apps, I'd highly recommend doing the FCP tutorial course by either Ripple Training or macProVideo.com to save yourself tons of time and headaches. But it is really easy to learn and use. You may also want to give the free DaVinci Resolve a good looking over, too. I'd go with that long before I'd go back to Adobe (if I weren't going to use FCP).

Sep 27, 2024 5:36 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

To add to Tom and Ben's replies, there are several highly recommended, free tutorials that can help you get a good understanding of FCP using the trial version to see if it's right for your particular workflows before purchasing FCP.

Steve at Ripple Training’s 60 minute FCP tutorial overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck

Final Cut Bro's Getting Started with FCP  https://youtu.be/L3bZ-ETKZ8U

Izzy Video. An older tutorial so the UI looks different but the concepts are still correct. https://youtu.be/_jvyrnQpR1E?list=PLp5SAgbM8S87n1qvv34-PAU2zMHLlXyfb

Sep 28, 2024 2:56 AM in response to SandyGMcB

I will confirm the good advice you have been given that FCP is easy to learn and the free DaVinci Resolve is brilliant though with a steeper learning curve.

FREE DAVINCI RESOLVE

However, I would add this . . . DaVinci Resolve is closer to the old FCP you used for editing so the learning curve may not be quite so steep. Furthermore it is a complete editing suite containing Fusion (similar to Motion), a dedicated Audio editing app and a Color Correction section second to none.

Finally you already have iMovie on your computer which is a very capable editing app and may be all you need.

Although I consider DVR to be better I use FCP most of the time as it is quicker and easier but when I want more control or to export with very specific settings I have almost unlimited choice in the Export tab and use Resolve.

Transitioning from Adobe to FCP/Motion/Titles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.