You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unable to update my iMac to Sequoia with due to insufficient memory

I bought a renewed 2019 5K iMac because it said it could be upgraded to sequoia. I have just finished set up and have not loaded any apps. When I try to upgrade it states there is not enough memory. Do I need a bigger SSD or???? Options?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 27, 2024 1:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2024 2:03 PM

Hmm.. according to Apple your iMac can be upgraded to Sequoia.. your storage is either 1TB or 2TB… you’ll need 25 GB Free To install Sequoia… go to Apple-systems settings-general-storage.. this should tell you how much free space you have available… maybe run disk utility… purgeable space… maybe run EtreCheck and post the report here

John b

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2024 2:03 PM in response to SU8160

Hmm.. according to Apple your iMac can be upgraded to Sequoia.. your storage is either 1TB or 2TB… you’ll need 25 GB Free To install Sequoia… go to Apple-systems settings-general-storage.. this should tell you how much free space you have available… maybe run disk utility… purgeable space… maybe run EtreCheck and post the report here

John b

Oct 1, 2024 7:35 PM in response to SU8160

So, after checking it does appear I have a "split fusion drive.". When the two drives come up on the screen, they are both named " untitled." Is this something that occurred during refurbishing, or is it just something that can happen. Should I send it back or will the instructions in the article take care of the problem? Excuse my ignorance of Apple machines. This is my first Apple after decades of pc's

Dennis

Oct 8, 2024 6:04 PM in response to SU8160

I tried to fix the split drive according to the suggested instructions, but my screens did not look quite the same as in the tutorial. So...because I thought I figured I had gotten a good deal on the computer, I reached out to a certified apple repair shop here in Oregon City, who charged me only $49.00 to fix the drives and upgrade to Sequoia. He also did a complete hardware check.

Thanks to all for sending me in the right direction!!

Dennis

Unable to update my iMac to Sequoia with due to insufficient memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.