You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Deleted emails from iOS 18 show as not read in iCloud and on MacBook Pro

I often delete emails on my iPhone without opening them by swiping. Before updating to iOS 18, it was never a problem. An unread email would be deleted and then get marked as read. But ever since updating to iOS 18, when I do not read an email, and delete it, then it shows up as "unread" when I look at email in iCloud or on my MacBook Pro. It is kind of a pain because then I have to open the trash, filter by unread and mark them all as read.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 6:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 11:19 AM

To clarify. Before iOS 18, regardless of what device (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro), I would delete an email and it would go into the trash on all the devices. And if I deleted the email without opening it, once it was in the trash, it would show as read on all devices. All was good.

Now, on iOS 18 and MacOS Sequoia, if I delete an email on my iPhone by swiping and not opening it, it goes to the trash on all the devices like it is supposed to. What is strange though is if I go to the trash on my iPhone, all of the emails are marked as read. But if I go to the trash on my MacBook Pro, all of the emails that I deleted from the iPhone show as unread.

This is all using Apple Mail on all the devices and an iCloud email address.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2024 11:19 AM in response to Scott Raymond

To clarify. Before iOS 18, regardless of what device (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro), I would delete an email and it would go into the trash on all the devices. And if I deleted the email without opening it, once it was in the trash, it would show as read on all devices. All was good.

Now, on iOS 18 and MacOS Sequoia, if I delete an email on my iPhone by swiping and not opening it, it goes to the trash on all the devices like it is supposed to. What is strange though is if I go to the trash on my iPhone, all of the emails are marked as read. But if I go to the trash on my MacBook Pro, all of the emails that I deleted from the iPhone show as unread.

This is all using Apple Mail on all the devices and an iCloud email address.

Oct 1, 2024 10:08 AM in response to Scott Raymond

After IOS 18 when I delete an email from my iMac it goes to the trash on both iMac and iPhone. All is good.

When I go to the iMac mail trash and delete the email., it deletes it from the iMac (good) but NOT from the iPhone trash for that IMAP account (bad!)

The reason is that when you delete trash email in IMAP many servers just 'mark' them for deletion and come along later (who knows when) and cleans them out.

The workaround with IOS 18 is to COMPACT your trash folder on your iMac. Easy to do in Postbox... I don't know about Apple Mail app.

Deleted emails from iOS 18 show as not read in iCloud and on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.