You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Sequoia upgrade causes external mouse issues on external monitors?

Following the upgrade from Sonoma to Sequoia, my external mouse is drifting. This only happens with the cursor over the external monitors, which are connected through a docking station.

The computer: Macbook Air, with Apple M2 chip, 24 GB memory.

The mouse: Apple mouse, about 2021 vintage.

So far, I've tried:

• Cleaning mouse optical area to ensure no debris is obscuring the sensor
  • Resetting pointers, including forgetting the mouse and reconnecting it
  • Rebooting machine
  • Changing pointer preferences for both trackpad and mouse
  • Reinstalling Sequoia

By "drifting" I mean that when the mouse is already moving, its movements are erratic, with a tendency towards the middle point of the two external monitors (it moves in different directions on different screens). The cursor does not move unless the mouse does, but a small up-and-down motion creates a significant side-to-side motion. There appears to be a slight bias for upward motion as well.

The only thing that changed causing this to happen was the upgrade from Sonoma to Sequoia.

Is anyone else having this issue? Thoughts on a solution? I'm tempted to do a clean install of Sonoma to roll back the upgrade, but that feels like going nuclear.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 1:02 PM

Edit:

As an update, I have tried with a trackpad and 3 other mice. The issue appears to be consistent across the bluetooth connection for pointers.

• Wired mouse worked normally.
  • Wireless non-Apple mouse worked normally (USB connection)
  • Another Apple mouse had the same issue
  • Apple trackpad (external) has the same effect, but it's less pronounced than the mouse
25 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2024 1:02 PM in response to Alliumcepa

Edit:

As an update, I have tried with a trackpad and 3 other mice. The issue appears to be consistent across the bluetooth connection for pointers.

• Wired mouse worked normally.
  • Wireless non-Apple mouse worked normally (USB connection)
  • Another Apple mouse had the same issue
  • Apple trackpad (external) has the same effect, but it's less pronounced than the mouse

Oct 3, 2024 4:31 AM in response to mminassian

My monitor has 3 input options:

• USB C
  • DisplayPort
  • HDMI

My Macbook has 2 output options: (MacBook Pro - M1 Pro, 2021)

• USB C
  • HDMI

I tested 3 cables to try and see if the mouse lag would disappear.

• USB C output to USB C input -> did not work, issue continued to exist
  • USB C output to DisplayPort input -> solved the issue, mouse does not lag anymore
  • HDMI output to HDMI input -> solved the issue, mouse does not lag anymore

Hope this helps.

Oct 14, 2024 7:03 AM in response to Alliumcepa

I had the same issue after upgrading to Sequoia. MacBook Air M2. Apple mouse, 2 external 4k Dell monitors attached via a Minisopuru dock. Only affecting one of my 4k monitors. The dock requires DisplayLink drivers. I had been suffering for a few weeks but then read the post saying it could be to do with DisplayLink. I just upgraded from DisplayLink v1.8 to v1.10 and it's fixed.

Oct 3, 2024 8:44 AM in response to mminassian

I'm not sure what approach Ruben-52 is using. For my part, I'm using a hub provided by my IT department. The hub is USB-C, and provides HDMI ports. The monitors are wired HDMI to HDMI.

The hub worked as intended prior to Sequoia. I have also tried another hub with a different connection mechanism (dual vs. single USB-C), and had the same issue.

I have ordered USB-C to HDMI and USB-C to Displayport cables to try the proposed solution and bypass the hub. While this is inconvenient, it may be at least a temporary fix to preserve my sanity while my mouse and trackpad continue to misbehave.

Oct 5, 2024 2:56 PM in response to Alliumcepa

I have this problem too, Apple please fix ASAP. I’m on a MacBook Pro 1MX using a Benq monitor supplying power and connected over usb-c. I have to restart the computer to resolve the problem. Problem seems to occur upon waking. Note, problem still occurs if I unplug the monitor then wake the laptop. Problem: left click ceases to function. Right click still works, sometimes left click is stuck selecting, -I was stuck resizing a window.

Oct 7, 2024 11:39 PM in response to ruben-52

Not for me. I'm still encountering issues. Sequoia 15.0.1. Apple Magic mouse A1657. Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro, external screen (Samsung) over USB-C.

The issue is that after some time mouse clicks are not registered anymore, or get stuck (getting into selection mode as a result). The issue then also is the same when using the internal trackpad

Going into sleep and starting again solves the issue temporarily

Oct 9, 2024 6:45 AM in response to Alliumcepa

I do have the same issue with my Logitech M70 Triathlon since upgrading to Sequoia.

Dragging around a window fast on any screen causes the mouse to "loose grip" or it may not "lock" on the window at all. The M720 can use bluetooth or the logitech unified dongle. Tried both connection methods, same issue.

Then I connected my HP Travel mouse from work with my M2 MacBook Pro - issue gone.

It may be driver issue for some pointing devices in Sequoia but obviously not all.

Until the issue is resolved, the Logitech M720 is not usable with my Mac.

Sequoia upgrade causes external mouse issues on external monitors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.