You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to open and clean mouse of iMac Bondi 1999?

how to open and clean mouse

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 6:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 5:44 AM

They do need to be cleaned rather frequently.

To my knowledge you can use any USB mouse with that iMac, and if it were mine I'd use an optical mouse. No moving parts. I believe I eventually used a wireless optical mouse (Logitech I think) but it needs 2 AA batteries. They obviated the other limitation of the original USB Mouse — a tail that was too short.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2024 5:44 AM in response to DMC1955

They do need to be cleaned rather frequently.

To my knowledge you can use any USB mouse with that iMac, and if it were mine I'd use an optical mouse. No moving parts. I believe I eventually used a wireless optical mouse (Logitech I think) but it needs 2 AA batteries. They obviated the other limitation of the original USB Mouse — a tail that was too short.

Sep 25, 2024 6:11 PM in response to DMC1955

Lacking any "north up" orientation the original USB Mouse / Bondi Blue mouse counts as one of Apple's dumber ideas in my opinion. They quietly compensated for it in the subsequent model shipped with the "five flavor" iMacs with a more prominent finger groove giving the user some tactile indication of how to grasp it. It wasn't much of an improvement.

There was even a company that made an add-on housing that snapped on to the south end of the mouse, giving it an unmistakable, more mouse-like shape. It was called the iCatch — see what they did there?

Sep 25, 2024 9:02 PM in response to John Galt

Obviously I still have mine with my 1999 iMac. I use it for my Quicken App as the new Quickens do not give you all the features included. And I’m tired of paying for online features every year. I want it on my computer and safe from prying eyes. And for one price.

So thanks again. I was having problems using my mouse all of a sudden. Now it’s working perfectly again.

How to open and clean mouse of iMac Bondi 1999?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.