You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Indirect range "can't be used as a single value"?

Hello!

I'm trying to create a range selection dynamically, and I'm getting stuck on Indirect.

If I use the following formula in a cell, I get as text output what _seems_ like a nice little cell reference:

"Monthly Table::"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A8,Monthly Table::A,matching-method),3,addr-type,addr-style,table)&":"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A8,Monthly Table::A),14)

returns:

Monthly Table::$C$19:$N$19

But, when I fold that first formula into an Indirect function, like so:

INDIRECT("Monthly Table::"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A8,Monthly Table::A,matching-method),3,addr-type,addr-style,table)&":"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A8,Monthly Table::A),14))

I get the following error:

"The Range Monthly Table::C19:N19 can't be used as a single value"

What terribly obvious thing am I most likely missing?

Thank you for any help.

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 4:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 6:14 PM

It is nothing to do with INDIRECT. If you type Monthly Table::C19:N19 as an actual reference in a cell you will get the same error. If you want to use a range as a single value, use INDEX(your_range, 1). Numbers has no problem with vertical ranges like B2:B10 (it will accept it and give you the first value) but it does not like horizontal ranges like B2:E2 or 2-dimensional ranges. I have no idea why one is okay and the others not. An oversight or bug, perhaps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2024 6:14 PM in response to iethatis

It is nothing to do with INDIRECT. If you type Monthly Table::C19:N19 as an actual reference in a cell you will get the same error. If you want to use a range as a single value, use INDEX(your_range, 1). Numbers has no problem with vertical ranges like B2:B10 (it will accept it and give you the first value) but it does not like horizontal ranges like B2:E2 or 2-dimensional ranges. I have no idea why one is okay and the others not. An oversight or bug, perhaps.

Indirect range "can't be used as a single value"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.