You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

IMAC 2017 27" PIMPED, RUNNING SLOW

I pimped my Imac 2017 27" with a NVMe SSD Samsung 980 PRO M.2 and a intel i7700k and 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

It was ok but after a month started to takes ages to boot-up (sometime takes 10 to 15 minutes) and while I'm working (nothing too "heavy") the rainbow wheel starts spinning every 1/2 minutes.

Like I'm on photoshop working on a 1080x1080px 72ppi file and when i select the tool "rectangular selection" the wheel appears and starts spinning for 6/7 seconds.

I was using Mac OS Mojave and I tried to upgrade it to Ventura hoping to solve the problem but OS was not the issue.

this is the Etre check report:

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 6:43 AM

3 replies

Sep 24, 2024 9:28 AM in response to AVEBAD

iMacs are not "pimp"-able. Your hard drive is failing the EtreCheck file system test. It sounds like there is a critical hardware failure. That will trigger the fans to run at full speed. That's probably why you installed the fan control software.

Google Chrome is also running very poorly.

And you have malware installed:

Running app: /Library/amuck_inconfirm/UJymlUme/iUsiNBMu/oxide_periblem

I don't see any launch daemon or launch agent that is triggering it, so you may have some hacked apps installed.

Sep 24, 2024 1:56 PM in response to etresoft

I'd also add - Clean My Mac, if used carelessly (which most do unknowingly) can muck up some things.

Turbo Boost (why have that if you bought a top-of-the-line spec computer beats me) and Fan Control may be incompatible depending on what low-level components each needs to install.

And, while less likely perhaps, an EVO 980 is the newest NVMe offering from Samsung and its firmware might not be fully compatible with a 2017 iMac (e.g. trim commands) in ways not immediately obvious or leading to failure.

Sep 24, 2024 10:30 PM in response to AVEBAD

It is odd that the QVO SSD does not have TRIM enabled while the PRO SSD does have TRIM enabled. I do know the QVO SSD is a low end model, perhaps it doesn't support TRIM? I thought Apple's TRIM command affected all SSDs so seeing one where TRIM is not enabled is very odd especially for an internal SSD.

I also know that Samsung SSDs seem to have mixed results when installed internally on a Mac. Most of the Samsung & Mac issues tend to be associated with the lower end EVO SSDs (I would question the QVO here too), but I also know even the higher end models sometimes have some quirks & compatibility issues. I know even the Samsung Pro SSDs sometimes don't fair well under some workloads. Just something to keep in mind.

Another concern would be the memory upgrade since Macs are very particular about the memory they use. Was that memory from OWC or Crucial? If from Crucial, was it specifically made for use in a Mac? Crucial has traditionally marked their Apple compatible memory as "Mac Compatible" or "For Mac". The last time I purchased Crucial memory for a Mac only the plastic packaging for the memory listed it as "For Mac". I would suggest reinstalling the original Apple memory as a test.

As the others have noted, you definitely need to address all the software issues that were pointed out since they will definitely cause you problems.

IMAC 2017 27" PIMPED, RUNNING SLOW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.