You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Video Repair (broken MP4 & MOV)

I recently filmed an important event, but when I tried to play the MP4 video, it wouldn't open. I think the file might be corrupted. Does anyone know how to repair a video file? I really need to recover this footage. Any reliable methods or tools you can recommend would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 7:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 8:22 AM

If you're dealing with a corrupted video, here are some options to try:

Clever Online Video Repair - It's a free tool that's easy to use but limits to 5 gb per file and no paid verison available.

Fix.Video and Restore.Media: These are paid services that offer reliable video repair solutions but expensive.

Untrunc: A free tool that supports various file formats, though it can be tricky to use. Available on GitHub under ""Untrunc"".

If you have VLC installed on your Mac, you can use it to try and fix your video. Go to Media > Convert/Save, select your file, and follow the steps. It doesn’t always work, but it’s a simple option.

Manual Repair: If none of the above work, you may need to find a professional with expertise in using a HEX editor and knowledge of how video file structures like the moov box work.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Legendarioid

If you're dealing with a corrupted video, here are some options to try:

Clever Online Video Repair - It's a free tool that's easy to use but limits to 5 gb per file and no paid verison available.

Fix.Video and Restore.Media: These are paid services that offer reliable video repair solutions but expensive.

Untrunc: A free tool that supports various file formats, though it can be tricky to use. Available on GitHub under ""Untrunc"".

If you have VLC installed on your Mac, you can use it to try and fix your video. Go to Media > Convert/Save, select your file, and follow the steps. It doesn’t always work, but it’s a simple option.

Manual Repair: If none of the above work, you may need to find a professional with expertise in using a HEX editor and knowledge of how video file structures like the moov box work.

[Edited by Moderator]

Video Repair (broken MP4 & MOV)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.