You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What exactly do I need in a CSV file in order to import into the Passwords app?

I have a numbers file with my website, username, and passwords on it. I have exported this numbers file as a CSV file in order to import it. It says that I am missing column headings, even after adding column headings. Nothing seems to work.

Can someone please tell me what I need in order to be successful in importing my info to this App?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 8:42 PM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2024 10:27 AM in response to Quacks

Whatever info you want to associate with (and to identify) that password.

If the passwords are passwords for websites, I'd usually use the URL in that field. I've been storing freeform text in Keychain Access app for many years (with passwords for services or such that Keychain is unaware of, and can't pre-populate), and the equivalent of the label field here is the title of the secure note in Keychain Access app.

From the developer of the macOS 15 Sequoia Passwords app: "When adding passwords, you can specify a website or a custom label, like “Router”, "Passport Number”, or “Garage Door”."

PS: The shared groups feature is useful if you want to have (for instance) a few specific passwords you might want to share with other people.

Oct 20, 2024 8:42 PM in response to Quacks

For me I was trying to import from Roboform into Password and I keep getting an error message about column headers and someone in the Beta group suggested exporting passwords from apple keychain to see what the headers were. I did that and changed the headers on the Roboform CSV file and was able to import with not further problem! The column headers on Apple passwords were

Title/ URL/Username/Password/Notes/OTPAuth

the column headers on Roboform were different or abbreviated. Hope this helps someone else!

What exactly do I need in a CSV file in order to import into the Passwords app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.