You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Time Machine backup

I need to backup one external HD to an external Time Machine HD and then backup another external HD to another external Time Machine HD. I can add the two external Time Machine HD's but they both want to backup the same files (the one's the first external Time Machine HD is backing up). When I go to Options on the second external Time Machine HD and select the new HD/files that need to be backed up, it changes the preferences for the items being backed up on the first external Time Machine HD. Any ideas on how to fix this problem.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 6:33 PM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Bruce Patrick1

You can't use two Time Machine drives at the same time with each backing up different files and folders.

den.thed's recommendation of Carbon Copy Cloner is the best route to take. It can be programed to backup multiple tasks, each taks on different times and days if so desired.

I use Time Machine to backup my boot drive and two external SSDs and CCC to backup specific folders/files to a 3rd EHD so I have two backups of my most important files.

Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.