You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Hello. How can I protect formulae in columns without protecting the whole sheet, please? Thanks

I have created a spreadsheet for a small volunteer shop allowing stock amounts to be added and sales recorded with amounts sold and cash taken. I want to protect the formulae used so they can't be accidentally deleted or amended.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 8:59 AM

2 replies

Sep 21, 2024 9:20 AM in response to given up on user name

Numbers, unlike Excel, does not have the ability to lock specific cells.

You can lock an entire table by clicking it and going in the menu to Arrange > Lock.

So you could put your formulae in that separate table and lock it. If different people will be inputting data into the spreadsheet then it is often a go idea to separate the data input and calculation areas as much as possible.

Note, however, that it is just as easy to unlock a table as lock it (via Arrange > Unlock). You have no way to prevent that.

If you need more security you may need Excel, which is built for businesses and organizations. Numbers is excellent, and is more convenient than Excel in many ways, but it is more a consumer grade application.

SG

Hello. How can I protect formulae in columns without protecting the whole sheet, please? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.