You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Increment selected cell by n

For a sheet i am using i need to increment certain cells by a varying amount manually, what would be the easiest way to do this?

So far i have had to create a new formula, enter current cell value and then +n for each time.

Would it be possible to have a shortcut do that so that i do (example) cmd and numpad + then just enter the amount i want to increment the currently selected cell by?

The current cell value, which cell i need to increment and the value i need to add vary a lot, which is why i need a "manual" way instead of an automated formula.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 2:59 AM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2024 4:56 AM in response to SevenChords

Formulas in spreadsheets display the result in the cell the formula is in.

And you can have either a value or a formula in a cell, not both.

If you frequently need to vary the value in a cell and you don't want the result in a separate cell with a formula, then have you considered using a Slider.

Slider

Stepper:

You can find more on this in the User Guide here (or via Help > Numbers Help in the menu):

Add controls to cells in Numbers on Mac - Apple Support

SG

Sep 21, 2024 10:59 AM in response to SGIII

Those methods sadly wont work, as there is no set limit for the number that i need to increment frequently.

What i mean with the formula is that i have the cell with a number (e.g. 66).

I need to increment that by another number (e.g. 12)

Currently i am aware of two options for that:

do 66+12 manually (in my head, external calculator, etc)

press `=` to create a new formula, enter the old value (`66`), add the value to increment it by to that formula (`+12`), which in the end results in the cell becoming a number again, in this example 78;.

What i would like to do is instead of creating a formula with the old value and adding to that every time is to have a shortcut (like `cmd``+`) after which i only need to enter the value i want to increment it by (12 in the example above).

Increment selected cell by n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.