You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I want to turn off the Mac update notification badge, can you help me?

Hello? I need to collaborate with Finale on my Mac, so I want to turn off the MacOS Sequoia upgrade notification.

Because the application is no longer being developed, and Finale 27 is not compatible with MacOS Sequoia, I unfortunately have no choice but to use Sonoma.

However, when I check for updates in System Preferences, a notification badge appears! It annoys me every time I see it, so I searched for several blogs to try to remove the notification badge using the terminal command as instructed, but it doesn't get deleted at all!

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS ”Sonoma”

sudo software update —reset-ignored

Defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0; killall Dock

Then I found this on another blog: sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Sequoia I'm currently on Sonoma, but I tried to remove the Sequoia update notification badge by entering this command! I tried all the methods, but it didn't work! I'm a user of the MacBook Pro 2021 M1Pro model! I wonder if the command is different for each MacBook or if I'm doing something wrong.

The number displayed after the section called System Settings means the notification badge, right? Please give me some advice.

Please keep in mind that I'm a visually impaired person who uses VoiceOver, so please give me some advice.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 6:33 PM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2024 2:17 AM in response to jungmin224

As long as the computer Qualifies for the upGrade from macOS 14 Sonoma to macOS 15 Sequoia

The Apple Servers will badger the computer in some way and form

An option would to sort of trick the Servers into thinking the computer has downloaded macOS 15.0 Sequoia

If the computer has about 14.54 GB of unneeded space ?

Manually download the Full Version of Sequoia and leave it alone in the Application folder

Should this idea seem appealing ?

Post back for the instructions

Oct 21, 2024 10:29 AM in response to jungmin224

This is driving me nuts. I´ve turned off all update notifications, but every time I open my Macbook it´s back! It cannot be turned off. I´ve been adviced not to upgrade the OS because the software I am using at work is not ready yet, but Apple keep nagging! This is so annoying. I want to concentrate on my work without being disturbed by a software update that I don´t want. It´s worse than a telephone salesman. Apple, can you please let me work in peace?

I want to turn off the Mac update notification badge, can you help me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.