You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacOS 15 has made Apple Pages won't open docx files

MacOS 15 has made Apple Pages won't open docx files.

If the file has *.doc extension, it works. Even if i rename docx files to doc 's one.

IS there any guesses what can be done to restore proper Apple Page behavior?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 7:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 5:06 AM

The issue was with LaunchService. If you have something like this one (it may happen with any files' format), just try to reset LaunchService by running the following commands:

I found the right answer to the problem (at least for me).  @tinodj has been right, but no proper execution.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock
11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2024 5:06 AM in response to v4us

The issue was with LaunchService. If you have something like this one (it may happen with any files' format), just try to reset LaunchService by running the following commands:

I found the right answer to the problem (at least for me).  @tinodj has been right, but no proper execution.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

Sep 20, 2024 10:48 AM in response to v4us

Since I don't have this issue with Microsoft documents, I have provided all of the suggestions I can in the link you provided. I noticed no one there confirmed that they had followed my advice about opening the problematic Word documents in LibreOffice Writer and then resaving them — before another attempt at opening them in Pages.

For Pages not opening Word .docx documents, they must be corrupted in some fashion by other software, and LibreOffice may be able to fix that issue. Or, the documents were dragged out of OneDrive while encrypted and not by using the OneDrive application to decrypt them before using Pages on them.

MacOS 15 has made Apple Pages won't open docx files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.