You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMovie app won't quit whenever I try to close it

I've been editing a short film on iMovie but the app just won't quit whenever I try and close it. It comes up with a message saying that iMovie 'can't' quit until it finishes 'other tasks' but I can't see tasks that are being carried out and the app has been open for a couple weeks now with no changes made to the film that need to be synced/saved etc. I'm not sure about force quitting because that may delete my work... Any suggestions??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:48 PM

At this point force-quitting is probably your only option. I can't imagine any tasks that it wouldn't have completed after a couple of weeks, so something almost certainly has just hung. It shouldn't delete any of your saved work, though I can't say with absolute certainty that something isn't already corrupted. And of course any changes not saved will be lost. But I don't think you have a choice.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2024 2:48 PM in response to mjjj007

At this point force-quitting is probably your only option. I can't imagine any tasks that it wouldn't have completed after a couple of weeks, so something almost certainly has just hung. It shouldn't delete any of your saved work, though I can't say with absolute certainty that something isn't already corrupted. And of course any changes not saved will be lost. But I don't think you have a choice.

Regards.

Sep 19, 2024 9:01 PM in response to mjjj007

Try creating a new project and then go back to your old project and do Edit/Select All, and Edit/ Copy. Then do an Edit/Paste in the newly created project. Your old project’s media will be pasted into the new project, with the edits carrying over. Now see if you can close the new project without having to force quit.

— Rich

iMovie app won't quit whenever I try to close it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.