You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

.rcproject upgrade path to latest iMovie

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to update some older iMovie projects saved as .rcproject files (not sure of the version) to the latest version of iMovie.

Does anyone know if there’s a clear upgrade path for this?

I understand that I may need to open these projects in a few intermediate versions of iMovie before they can be fully updated.

I do have access to an older MacBook capable of running earlier versions of macOS and iMovie, so I’m prepared to follow the necessary steps to ensure compatibility with the latest version.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Follows the list of files found in a <project>.rcproject folder

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 1:24 PM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2024 3:08 PM in response to jmv2

Hi,

Read the article in this link and see if anything in there helps you.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/163400/open-imovie-09-rcproject-in-imovie-10

If you have an older computer that is running iMovie 9.0.9, and contains the iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folder that constitute the project, you may be able to open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events to update the older projects into iMovie 10 projects. It's worth a try.

-- Rich

.rcproject upgrade path to latest iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.