You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can't e-mail Pages text file

I'm trying to send a 500 page manuscript in Pages to an editor, but she can't open the file -- instead she gets a message reading: "The required index xml file is missing." I'm running Pages 8.0 (6194). I've never had a problem sending Pages files before. The answers to somewhat similar questions here are six years old, so maybe they don't apply. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 9:54 PM

9 replies

Sep 18, 2024 12:50 PM in response to Hollywoodjuicer

Pages '09 is one of the Export To > options. However, the caveat is that there are features in Pages v8.0 that may not be backward compatible with Pages '09 and if that becomes an issue, you will need to send your editor an exported Word .docx document.

No version of Safari has anything to do with emailing Pages documents that can be attached to a Apple Mail compose window.

Sep 18, 2024 1:43 PM in response to Hollywoodjuicer

Pages can export a Pages document to a Word .docx saving you jumping into Word.

Apple never set out to create a Word clone so there are a ton of Word features that have no representation in Pages — even now at Pages v14.2. If you are sharing documents with someone who is editing the documents in Word for Mac or Windows, then you should be using Word too so there is no document translation occurring as Pages will do.

Sep 19, 2024 6:39 AM in response to Hollywoodjuicer

With your Pages document open in Pages v8.0, select File menu > Export To > Word… > Advanced Options > Format: .docx > Next… > Export. That gets you a Word document in the location of your choice on that Export panel.

If you want to automatically attach that Word (.docx) document to an outgoing email message, then skip the first paragraph and on the Pages toolbar there should be a Send a Copy button. Upon clicking it, you have the option of Apple Mail which provides the Send via Mail panel where you can select Word again, click Next… and you will see a progress bar as Pages converts the document to .docx and then an Apple Mail compose window will appear with the Word document as an attachment.

Sep 18, 2024 1:18 PM in response to VikingOSX

Ah. Well, thanks so much for your help. As you can tell, I'm a very basic user of computers to the point of being essentially digiliterate. I do have MS Word for Mac on my laptop, so I'll convert the manuscript from Pages to Word.

I have to say, it's disappointing that Pages can't offer the communicative flexibility of Word. I've had Word for Mac on my two Apple laptops since 2011, and have experienced no problems sending Word docs to PCs of any vintage.

So it goes. Thanks again for your help!

Sep 18, 2024 3:20 PM in response to VikingOSX

She's editing in Pages on a Mac, but her Mac is even older than mine -- and mine is a 2016. Pardon the stupid question -- as I mentioned, I'm not well-versed in anything but the absolute digital basics -- but how would I go about exporting a Pages document to a Word .docx? That sounds like a good option, since cutting-and-pasting a 500 page manuscript to Word for Mac would involve a lot of re-formatting of chapter headings and the like.

Sep 19, 2024 3:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

That worked! She got the manuscript in readable form, and can now begin. Thanks so much for your patience and advice!

I'd already cut-and-pasted the Pages manuscript into a Word file, but as feared, the formatting was all screwed up with all 300+ footnotes lost to the ether. It would have taken a long, tedious time to go page by page fixing things -- but now I don't have to. Thanks again!

Can't e-mail Pages text file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.