You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I add a new Category in pop-up Menu in Numbers?

I tried to enter new categories in the Pop-Up Menu but they didn't affect the budget table. I was able to add a "New Item," by clicking the + button in the Pop-Up Menu under the Cell tab, and enter my chosen name, which did appear in the Pop-Up Menu. However, when I then tried to create a new transaction, and assign it that new category name, nothing changed in the budget table; the transaction amount wasn't added to the category with that name (which I added to the budget table manually.) What am I missing? Do I need to add the category name manually after I create the new category, or is there a way to properly link the data in some other way beyond manually entering the new category name to the budget table header column?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 5:17 PM

5 replies

Sep 18, 2024 6:56 PM in response to Aliveinabrokenworld

Also, I just entered a new row in the Transactions table, and tried to set to one of my new categories in the third column drop-down, but the new categories I created are missing from the drop-down (and missing from the Pop-Up Menu edit list under the Cell tab in Formatting.) When I click on the row that was selected when I added the categories, they're available from the drop-down there (and showing in the Pop-Up Menu edit list under Format, Cell.) It would make no sense that I'd have to select each cell in the Category column of the transaction sheets one-by-one and manually re-add the new Category name to the Pop-Up menu. This is why I feel I'm missing something.

Sep 19, 2024 3:28 PM in response to Yellowbox

When I select the entire Category column as you have in the above example screenshot, I do not see the message about selected cells containing different menu items below the Pop-Up Menu drop down under Data Format, as you have. Nor have I merged any previously. This is the first I've seen anything about merging. As I mentioned, I can get new categories to APPEAR on the menu-pop up when I click on the drop-down arrow in a category cell, and even assign the new category to that cell, but it doesn't seem to apply the transaction in that row to the Budget Table.

Do you mean I am, or am not, supposed to select the entire column before adding a new category?

How do I add a new Category in pop-up Menu in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.