You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final cut pro adding popping to audio

Hello, I'm having issues with Final Cut Pro and I've narrowed it down to there I think. I record videos via OBS, and I can open the video recorded and the sound is fine. There are no pops and cracks in my voice audio at that stage.

However, when I open up Final Cut Pro and import the media at 48hz which is the same I record in off of OBS, and I listen. My voice pops and cracks in the program. I export the video, and I can hear it there as well.

Example Video: https://youtu.be/0PA7TG9IHUc?si=-5TrvsxXRPO3Cwsy&t=133

OBS:

I'm recording channel 1 which is a combination of voice, and game. Channel 2 is just my voice, and Channel 3 is just the game. In OBS I'll pick 1, or I'll turn 1 off and use 2 and 3 so I can adjust the sounds individually. It doesn't matter however, the crackling always occurs no matter which way I go about it?

Here are settings I'm using in OBS. Again, the MP4 that comes out of OBS sounds perfectly fine. It isn't until I import it into Final Cut Pro that I have issues. I can hear it while it's in Final Cut Pro.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 12:01 PM

13 replies

Sep 18, 2024 10:25 AM in response to Chioxin

Have you tried Optimizing the OBS file in FCP? If the OBS file is actually a variable frame/sample rate file, Optimizing will create a (giant) ProRes version with a fixed frame rate. FCP doesn't like variable rates and could be the cause of audio popping.

Post the output from Invisor or ffprobe on the OBS recorded clip.

Sep 18, 2024 8:53 AM in response to BenB

Thank you! =) So in OBS we record in MKV, that way if there is a failure, you don't lose your whole video. Tonight I'll try to just directly record to MP4 and see if there is a difference though and report back. But, I thought these screenshots from OBS might help you see what I have to work with?

I posted up two videos that are easier to compare between.

With these videos too, I was intentionally making sure that even in OBS, that the voice and sounds do not go over -6db, as I thought that might be the case too after what you'd said.

This one is from OBS after it has been remuxed from an MKV to an MP4

This one is from FCP when we take that MP4 and put it into FCP

Nothing was touched. I can hear snaps and pops in the FCP version but not the OBS MP4 version.

Here is a screen of the max decibles reached during the entire short clip: -11

It's also very possible I'm going crazy and hearing things XD I certainly hope not! A friend told me they hear no difference, but I swear there are pops and snaps.

Sep 18, 2024 12:34 PM in response to terryb

Just got ffmpeg downloaded. Don't really know how to use it. Can this remux an mkv to an mp4 for FPC? If so, I'll try that tonight when I record. I think I see how that works after watching a few videos.

As for the information you're asking for, I ran "ffmpeg -i fileName.mp4" and got this output for both TestForOBS.mp4:

and for TestForFCP.mp4

I hope those were the outputs you were looking for.

Thank you for helping =)

OH! And, for the variable frames bit of your response. I'm still learning a lot of this, but I was wondering if this might be where the problem is if there are variable frames?

I'll freely admit that I kind of just followed a few tutorials about how to set this up for recording on mac, and basically copy pasted these settings into OBS.

Sep 18, 2024 2:01 PM in response to terryb

Ah hah, I think I see now what you were talking about. The frame rate is variable =(

Dang it =( That's a real bummer.

The OBS mp4 is created through OBS. From File > Remux Recordings

The FPC mp4 is created from the OBS mp4.

I haven't got the time right now but tonight I'll record from OBS as an MP4 and see what happens. It's just scary to do that for long play throughs because if it messes up, you lose everything.

I did try to remux an MKV from OBS using FFMPEG, to an MP4 and it appears to be a lot better, but there was still a pop or two when I was going through it.

So, maybe FFMPEG is my solution. D= Is there a remux program that has a GUI? Or must I do it through terminal? Is this the best option?

Final cut pro adding popping to audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.