You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Recovery Mode not working after OS drive replacement (Mac Pro 2019)

I have replaced the system drives in two of my Macs Pro 2019 (went from 2TB to 8TB, used a new-and-sealed official kit - not that there are any other options). I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, used another Mac Pro 2019 to revive the Mac using the DFU and installed Sonoma using the Internet Recovery.

Now I can't enter the Recovery Mode on both Macs, which is a bit of a problem, because I can only use the Internet Recovery now.

Any ideas how to bring it back? Or why this is happening?

Mac Pro, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2024 3:01 PM

7 replies

Sep 16, 2024 1:32 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Oh boy, this is embarrassing. It turned out everything is fine, but I was using a wired PC keyboard (all my Mac keyboards are wireless) and I was pressing the wrong key all that time, so the alt key instead of the start (windows) key... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry for the brain fart... Anyway, all good and hopefully someone with a similar problem will stumble upon this thread and find a solution.

Cheers!

Recovery Mode not working after OS drive replacement (Mac Pro 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.