You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Copy from the timeline is no longer working for HEVC encoded files

Final Cut Pro can't copy HEVC files from the timeline. (H.264 files seem fine)

Steps to reproduce.

1. put any clip on the timeline
  2. hover clip and press "i" and "o" in to separate places to select part of the clip
  3. Press Ctrl+C (or select Copy from the Edit Menu)
  4. Press Ctrl+V (or select Paste from the Edit Menu)

Expected Result: Section of the clip selected is pasted into the timeline

Actual result: Nothing happens.

Everything worked fine until this morning. (Paste seems ot work fine because if I select a clip and copy from the Library Sidebar the paste works function. Cutting out of the timeline also seems to work, but it can't be pasted.

(I also tried rebooting, just in case)

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 13, 2024 6:21 AM

7 replies

Sep 13, 2024 7:41 AM in response to paullb514

I assume that, as LocaAlicia pointed out, you meant Command-C and Command-V. Anyway, you mentioned that the menu command also is not working.

Whenever something is not working correctly in FCP, deleting its preferences is one of the first things to try.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting the application and click Delete Custom Settings. The application will start with default settings and open an "Untitled" library. Adjust the settings, reopen the library you were working, and see how it works now.

Sep 13, 2024 3:53 PM in response to paullb514

So I've tried many things, aligning the codecs etc, but for some clips copy and paste works and others it doesn't.

For any clip I took with my phone it works fine, for the clip that I took with my DJI Pocket 3 it doesn't.

I've rencoded the DJI clip to make sure the encodings are the same.

No clue why FCP refuses to paste the clip from DJI Pocket 3...

Copy from the timeline is no longer working for HEVC encoded files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.