You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Should I eject my external SSD before sleeping my Mac?

I just got an external SSD (OWC Express 1M2). The light on the external SSD stays on when I put my Mac Studio to sleep. Am I supposed to EJECT the external SSD before I put the Mac to sleep? Should I unplug it as well? Or is it ok to just put the Mac to sleep and not worry about it.

This is my first Mac. Maybe I’m worrying too much. I think I have trauma from years of PC use. I couldn’t believe that all I had to do was plug the external SSD in and it worked. No drivers. No restart. I still can’t believe it was that easy.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 7:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2024 11:15 AM

HWTech wrote:

I don't know how macOS handles an ejected device after waking from sleep, but I do know that if you "eject" a drive within macOS (default option when using the Finder--it combines unmounting & ejecting), then the drive must be physically disconnected & reconnected before it will be seen by macOS again.

After ejecting a drive in the Finder, I left the drive physically connected and went into Disk Utility. The drive and unmounted volume were visible in Disk Utility. Mounting the volume in Disk Utility made it appear in the Finder.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2024 11:15 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

I don't know how macOS handles an ejected device after waking from sleep, but I do know that if you "eject" a drive within macOS (default option when using the Finder--it combines unmounting & ejecting), then the drive must be physically disconnected & reconnected before it will be seen by macOS again.

After ejecting a drive in the Finder, I left the drive physically connected and went into Disk Utility. The drive and unmounted volume were visible in Disk Utility. Mounting the volume in Disk Utility made it appear in the Finder.

Sep 13, 2024 12:14 AM in response to Delta9rsd

There seems to be a bit of history with Macs sometimes improperly dismounting external USB drives during Sleep. While I wish that wasn't the case, you might encounter the issue.

If you do decide to eject your external SSD before putting your Mac to Sleep, I don't think there is any need for you to also unplug it. When you wake the Mac, the Mac may remember that you wanted to eject the drive, and you may need to re-mount the drive using Disk Utility. That could be a bit inconvenient.

These days, I use Lock Screen or Shut Down, and shut off my monitor. When I turn the monitor back on, a key press or mouse click gets the Mac Studio to realize that it should try talking to the monitor again.

Sep 13, 2024 8:21 AM in response to Servant of Cats

The issue appears to be FAR more common with Bus-powered drives without an independent source of power.

When the Mac sleeps, recent Macs drop USB-power to "standby" levels. This is a fairly recent innovation, so many drive enclosures, engineered a while ago, are not prepared to degrade gracefully. Instead, they simply drop out, causing annoying disconnect issues that may require a Disk Utility Repair/FirstAid to set right again.

Sep 13, 2024 9:33 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Servant of Cats wrote:

If you do decide to eject your external SSD before putting your Mac to Sleep, I don't think there is any need for you to also unplug it. When you wake the Mac, the Mac may remember that you wanted to eject the drive, and you may need to re-mount the drive using Disk Utility. That could be a bit inconvenient.

Unmounting all volumes on a drive will allow macOS to give the user an option to re-mount any of those volumes without needing to disconnect & reconnect the drive. The only way I am aware to just "unmount" a volume without also "ejecting" the drive is by using Disk Utility or by using the command line.

Should I eject my external SSD before sleeping my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.