You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple expands tools to help businesses connect with customers. Learn more >

Which Mac should I grab?

I am a Student in mechanical engineering and I require a computer to take around to my classes, as my main computer is stationary. I’d like to go with a Mac because I have a bunch of the ecosystem but I’m not sure which one to buy, or if I should wait for M4 to drop. I’d be using it for everything I can besides the heaviest of workloads and gaming bc I like apple’s security more than windows defender. Can anyone help me out?

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 8:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 1:42 AM

No one else can answer that. Only you.

First, ask your instructors, as schools tend to have expectations or even requirements for which operating systems will be useful for students. They may well tell you to use Windows 11 on Intel, for instance. Going against that recommendation adds overhead to your time at school, and costs focus.

If they tell you Mac is an option that they’d recommend, then MacBook Air is going to be generally lighter and less capable and cheaper, and MacBook Pro is heavier and more capable and more expensive.

Air has passive cooling, while Pro has active cooling. That can affect how hard you can push the particular Mac.

Low-spec M-processors provide two displays, while upper-spec M processors (Pro, Max, Ultra) can provide three or potentially more total displays.

As memory and storage are not expandable, I would not go below 16 GB memory, and more storage than you think you will need over the usable lifetime of the Mac. This recognizing that system and app and personal usage will likely all increase over time, too.

You’ll want an external hard disk of roughly three times internal storage capacity for Time Machine backups. Given hard disk pricing and common internal storage configurations, four to six terabytes works well for many folks, though configurations with more internal storage are becoming more common.

For note-taking and web access and such, iPad and that possibly transiently configured with a keyboard when lots of text is needed, can suffice. An iPad with no keyboard is light, small, and robust. Supports Pencil for drawing, too. And any recent Mac will work for note-taking, web browsing, and similar tasks.

There will always be a better Mac coming of course, with M4 being available only in iPad Pro at present and not (yet?) in any Mac. Apple did a Mac announcement in October 2023; last year. When they might next announce a Mac, and with what hardware configuration?

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2024 1:42 AM in response to UDF-423

No one else can answer that. Only you.

First, ask your instructors, as schools tend to have expectations or even requirements for which operating systems will be useful for students. They may well tell you to use Windows 11 on Intel, for instance. Going against that recommendation adds overhead to your time at school, and costs focus.

If they tell you Mac is an option that they’d recommend, then MacBook Air is going to be generally lighter and less capable and cheaper, and MacBook Pro is heavier and more capable and more expensive.

Air has passive cooling, while Pro has active cooling. That can affect how hard you can push the particular Mac.

Low-spec M-processors provide two displays, while upper-spec M processors (Pro, Max, Ultra) can provide three or potentially more total displays.

As memory and storage are not expandable, I would not go below 16 GB memory, and more storage than you think you will need over the usable lifetime of the Mac. This recognizing that system and app and personal usage will likely all increase over time, too.

You’ll want an external hard disk of roughly three times internal storage capacity for Time Machine backups. Given hard disk pricing and common internal storage configurations, four to six terabytes works well for many folks, though configurations with more internal storage are becoming more common.

For note-taking and web access and such, iPad and that possibly transiently configured with a keyboard when lots of text is needed, can suffice. An iPad with no keyboard is light, small, and robust. Supports Pencil for drawing, too. And any recent Mac will work for note-taking, web browsing, and similar tasks.

There will always be a better Mac coming of course, with M4 being available only in iPad Pro at present and not (yet?) in any Mac. Apple did a Mac announcement in October 2023; last year. When they might next announce a Mac, and with what hardware configuration?

Which Mac should I grab?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.