You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Airport Extreme Network Configuration for 2 story home, from hardwired to mesh

Airport Extreme Network Configuration for 3 story home, from hardwired to mesh

Hello All, this is my first post and help is needed but in reality i have been searching for an answer for a while now. 

I have been using Airport Extreme for almost 8 years now and I have multiple units and couldn't be happier with wifi speed !!!

So, everything was working fine and the way the setup is

BASEMENT - MODEM TO AIRPORT EXTREME WIFI ROUTER 

then to network switch then to rest of the house

1 story - 2nd airport extreme connect via ethernet cable 

2nd story - then 3rd airport extreme connect via ethernet cable

Sometime ago, there was a glitch and power outage so i had to reset all of the routers HOWEVER this time, the hard wire ethernet option extending current network did not work and i was forced and leftof with using mesh which speed at some parts of the house isn't that great.

I was trying to resolve it for almost a month a long time ago then just let it be. "i read somewhere that airport extremes network extending option was somehow stopped working and no way to activate it"

So now I am back at it again in full force and need ideas please

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 12:03 PM

1 reply

Sep 14, 2024 3:34 PM in response to Kazbek095

We already discussed this in your other post.

Sometime ago, there was a glitch and power outage

Assuming that you have tested with other Ethernet cables to take that possibility out of the question, the power surge / outage fried the WAN "O ports on your AirPorts.

Chances are, the "glitch" likely took out the LAN <--> ports as well, since all the Ethernet ports are on the same electrical circuit.

Surges can do strange things. A nearby lighting strike here left my router alone, but took out the Ethernet port on my desktop.

If you have the time....and the LAN ports on the AirPorts are still working......we could try a workaround that might work.....though it will be clunky.

Airport Extreme Network Configuration for 2 story home, from hardwired to mesh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.