You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple expands tools to help businesses connect with customers. Learn more >

Admin Account Passwords USB Key

I help manage an all-Mac school with about 200 MacBooks that have been setup over several years by different people. We typically use a few different admin passwords, but sometimes find an older laptop that we simply do not have record of the password. We also have found that students have learned the admin passwords and we need to change them. We began using an MDM last year, but we do not have everything on that system yet. That will likely only be used as laptops are replaced over time.

It is a large undertaking to change the password on all of these MacBooks, but when we do, I want it to be more secure. I would love to require a USB key for admin access, but I have found no solution for doing so. Does such a thing exist? Is there a better way to handle this?

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 8:20 AM

2 replies

Admin Account Passwords USB Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.