You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Block Controller MIDI Port Data Causing Unwanted Pitch Bend in MainStage

So I've been using MainStage for years in my live setup (currently on a MacBook Pro M1 Max)- its a pretty rudimentary setup to simply pick patches for multiple MIDI keyboards - and decided to integrate an SSL UF8 Controller for hands-on physical faders for band audio. This uses the Mackie controller protocol on its own virtual MIDI ports. However, MainStage "sees" all the controller adjustments as Pitch Bends, so when I change a fader level, I bend my MIDI keyboard notes out of tune!!

So I dove into the MainStage manual, hoping to find a simple way to enable/disable MIDI ports, but can't find anything of the sort. I initially found some controls in my Concert mapped to "ALL" MIDI ports, but changing that didn't solve my problem. I went back to a brand new Concert with only one patch and keyboard entry, but it still gets corrupted by the UF8 fader MIDI data. Not sure how this is getting seen by my MainStage patches, but I have to find a way to stop it.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2024 8:14 PM

4 replies

Sep 7, 2024 3:08 AM in response to jarcloer240

If you go into Edit mode at concert level, at the lower part of the screen there should be "Concert Settings", take the MIDI tab and ensure that "Send unassigned MIDI to all Channel Strips is not ticked, same with "Send unused Program Changes to Channel Strips". It is probably worth trying each in turn to see if either or both sorts the issue. Good luck!

Sep 7, 2024 7:09 AM in response to tfromtroon

HOORAY! Yes, the "Send unassigned MIDI to all Channel Strips was ticked, and unselecting that resolved all the problems, the two systems now appear to be totally independent. I also tried adjusting the "Send unused Program Changes to Channel Strips" (it was also initially ticked), and while it had no effect on the pitch bend symptoms, I went ahead and deselected it as well, maybe will avoid future confusion.

Thank You !!! I was expecting to be reading the manual for multiple hours today, but you saved me!

Oct 11, 2024 9:07 AM in response to tfromtroon

OK, here's a quick follow-up on this problem where unwanted MIDI from a was getting into MainStage and causing havoc. When I recently set up my desktop MacMini for both MainStage and use of the SSL UF8 DAW controller, the problem was back, even though I had the "Send unassigned MIDI to all Channel Strips" de-selected!  Clearing the problem required both this box to be unchecked, AND to have NO MainStage controls mapped to "ALL" MIDI ports, which takes a bit more detective work - review everything in the Assignments and Mappings tab. 

Of course this makes sense, but both avenues have to be checked to avoid the problem.

Block Controller MIDI Port Data Causing Unwanted Pitch Bend in MainStage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.