You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Finder window defaults

as a Mac user for over thirty years, i've never really understood how the Finder window options work.

firstly, i'd love to know how to set them globally. i was told to do it with no windows open, but then a lot of the options aren't available. and given the paltry few options for Icon Size, i'd like to set it to 16 for all Finder windows. also, i'd like to show the Path and Status bars by default. i'd also like List view to be the default.

and this may be asking far to much, but i'd like only the columns i want in Finder windows, as default, and for them to always be in the same sequence. i don't really need to see Date Created or Date Added (whatever the difference is), or Date Last Opened, as Date Last Modified is good enough for me. they seem to change from day to day with no apparent reason. and i have no need for times in this field on the list, dates are fine, unless it's today.

i hope people see this, as i couldn't find a way of tagging it as relevant to the Finder app, and not any specific OS.

any advice gratefully received.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 6, 2024 2:03 PM

14 replies

Sep 14, 2024 1:29 PM in response to randomname47

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 14, 2024 1:57 PM in response to randomname47

randomname47 wrote:

thanks, i appreciate it. i was really happy with High Sierra (well, relatively!). but this not about new features, it's about the ones that are thirty five years old that they still can't be bothered to get right! this goes back at least to System 7.

Yea' just when you get settled into something one way it changes.

things just change randomly, and i hate it so much. i use Mission Control / Spaces, and it's utter cr*p. it would be brilliant if it worked properly, but it never has. and now it's randomly deciding to change some of the wallpapers for my Spaces (to things i've never chosen). and it's always randomly moved windows between Spaces without asking me.

and even worse, it's now decided to link the the Spaces of my two monitors together, so when one moves, the other moves. they're not mirrored. trying to just get something from one monitor to another is a right nightmare! i have decided to create a new user, move everything over, and redo all my settings. but that's also causing problems, and now Firefox won't recognise my profile.

oh, and on the second monitor, my menu bar has suddenly disappeared.

Yea' I run with all of the Mission Control Spaces disabled on our multiply display setups.

it seems consistency, contiguity and continuity, even integrity aren't things Apple cares about very much.

so, as you can imagine, right now i absolutely hate Apple. they can get the big things utterly brilliantly right, but they just don't care about the piddly little stuff that everyone relies on just to do their job. IMHO.

Yea' sadly moving forward in leaps and bounds, out-ways maintaining or caring about the past.

Sep 9, 2024 3:00 PM in response to randomname47

Since at least eight versions of the Mac OS back, the Finder always behaves globally. Sort of.

To fix how you want all future folders to appear, open any folder and set it exactly how you want it. Make sure to turn on Show View Options. Click Use as Defaults at the bottom and close the panel.

All new folders you create will appear as you had that target folder set to. All except for new folders created on the desktop, where there is a partial default of always showing the sidebar, even if you had it closed for your default settings.

I have my system set for file view, but here's where the "sort of" comes in. If you have a file folder open and change it to column view, all folders on all devices will now also show in column view when you open them. Or whatever other view you choose.

Though I do see there's a new option at the top in Sonoma (I don't recall seeing this before).

I'll have to play with those to see what they do, and how.

Sep 9, 2024 12:41 AM in response to randomname47

> as a Mac user for over thirty years, i've never really understood how the Finder window options work.

Ditto. I still miss System 6-7-8-9 Finder windows that could be set as desired. For a while I tried it with Mac OS X 10.1 and later by fiddling with the .DS_Store files and other settings but eventually gave up. But I do not miss the occasional freezes and crashes of those old Systems.

Sep 14, 2024 6:59 AM in response to Old Toad

thanks for that.

sorry, i had the wrong mailbox set to receive these notifications, and i wasn't monitoring it.

unfortunately, that just doesn't work, because too many of the options are unavailable. anyway, even for those that aren't, it still doesn't work. i can set the text size to 16, and set it to be the default, but it still completely ignores me. every window starts off as 13pt.

re. the AppleScript, no, me neither! call me old fashioned, but i just want my computer to do what it's flipping well supposed to do, and not to keep changing settings for no reason. i've been fighting with Apple over this, and other inconsistencies and other things, it feels like forever. it just seems incapable of remembering its own settings. anyway, those are issues for another post, or this one would get very uwieldly!

Sep 14, 2024 7:07 AM in response to Kurt Lang

thanks for that.

sorry, i had the wrong mailbox set to receive these notifications, and i wasn't monitoring it.

totally agree with "sort of", except i'd say "sort of doesn't"!

the "Always open in list view" is in OS 13.6.9 Ventura, but i hadn't noticed it before either (maybe it's not in v 13.0?), so thanks for that. that's one thing that actually *does* work globally.

as with my reply to Old Toad, that just doesn't work for me. it never has. and i've been using Macs since System 7. i accept it's supposed to work, but it just doesn't.

i'm not using Sonoma, and i don't think i want or need it. i would still be using High Sierra quite happily, if it wasn't for one of my important apps needing a system upgrade. ironically, i no longer need that app!!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 14, 2024 7:05 AM in response to Matti Haveri

thanks for that.

i tried to delete the '.DS_Store' files, but i was not allowed!

"<username> is not in the sudoers file. This incident has been reported to the administrator."

well, that's me, and i got no message!

thinking it was because it wasn't an admin a/c, i logged in to my admin a/c and tried again. but i got this message:

"Operation not permitted."

so i seem to have refused to allow myself to do this. wasn't that clever of me! :)

Sep 14, 2024 7:08 AM in response to den.thed

thanks for that.

the trouble is not me not sticking to it, it's flipping Apple not sticking to it! the settings files/folders seem to be very susceptible to the vagaries of the ghost in the machine! they are not safe, and they are not secure. this is the Finder, Desktop, and Mission Control/Spaces. even when i set things how i like them, Apple just randomly changes them for no good reason.

Sep 14, 2024 9:23 AM in response to randomname47

randomname47 wrote:

thanks for that.

You're welcome.

No problem. I personally do not use the Communities e-mail notifications.

the trouble is not me not sticking to it, it's flipping Apple not sticking to it! the settings files/folders seem to be very susceptible to the vagaries of the ghost in the machine! they are not safe, and they are not secure. this is the Finder, Desktop, and Mission Control/Spaces. even when i set things how i like them, Apple just randomly changes them for no good reason.

Having used Mac for over 35 year myself. I can relate to you pain when it comes to all of the new features and changes. Personally my favorite OS X versions was Snow Leopard. I was more than happy not having to turn off new features, refuse monthly subscriptions, having colored icons on the sidebars, plus it got better with each update instead of worse.

Sep 14, 2024 10:44 AM in response to den.thed

thanks, i appreciate it. i was really happy with High Sierra (well, relatively!). but this not about new features, it's about the ones that are thirty five years old that they still can't be bothered to get right! this goes back at least to System 7.

things just change randomly, and i hate it so much. i use Mission Control / Spaces, and it's utter cr*p. it would be brilliant if it worked properly, but it never has. and now it's randomly deciding to change some of the wallpapers for my Spaces (to things i've never chosen). and it's always randomly moved windows between Spaces without asking me.

and even worse, it's now decided to link the the Spaces of my two monitors together, so when one moves, the other moves. they're not mirrored. trying to just get something from one monitor to another is a right nightmare! i have decided to create a new user, move everything over, and redo all my settings. but that's also causing problems, and now Firefox won't recognise my profile.

oh, and on the second monitor, my menu bar has suddenly disappeared.

it seems consistency, contiguity and continuity, even integrity aren't things Apple cares about very much.

so, as you can imagine, right now i absolutely hate Apple. they can get the big things utterly brilliantly right, but they just don't care about the piddly little stuff that everyone relies on just to do their job. IMHO.

Sep 17, 2024 9:45 AM in response to den.thed

thanks den.thed. not sure how to do the quote thing on here. you said "Yea' I run with all of the Mission Control Spaces disabled on our multiply display setups."

i only have "Displays have separate Spaces" deliberately set for Spaces (and that only since it was randomly switched off), yet still these other things, like things jumping around between monitors and Spaces, and monitors linked in unwanted ways, continue to happen.

it's very sad that we have to accept that A***e don't care about these things. i've made four posts in the last week or so, and A***e have censored all but one of them, because i dared to be cr*t*c*l, and one they outright refused to publish. will this one get through, i wonder? (asterisks my own)

so i'm going to try to find another forum, that isn't p*l*ced by A***e.

Finder window defaults

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.