You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

View clip or source timecode before importing into Final Cut

I have a very long clip containing an interview that I would like to grab short snippets from. I have a printed copy of the interview transcript (thank you Premiere, wish Final Cut could do transcriptions) where I can see the timecode as a reference along with what was said. The idea is to scrub through the clip in Final Cut and pull only what I need. However, I can't seem to look at the clip in the Import function and view the video but also see its timecode. I'm pretty sure I've done this before but I recently upgraded my Mac (and Final Cut) and think that something has changed? And no, using the Window>Source Timecode does not do this. Using that technique works AFTER the media is imported and placed in a timeline but that is not what I'm looking for. Thanks so much!

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 6, 2024 9:03 AM

4 replies

Sep 7, 2024 9:11 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I found the answer which I recalled came from the great Larry Jordan:

• Be sure the Skimmer is turned on; while this also works using the playhead, the Skimmer makes this easier. (Final Cut>View>Skimming>highlight to click "on")
  • Then type Control+Y. This turns on Skimmer Info, so that when you drag the Skimmer inside the thumbnail of a clip, you see the clip title and timecode displayed immediately above the Skimmer.
  • NOTEControl+Y is a toggle that turns this display on or off. This techniques works in both the Media Import window and the Browser.
  • Now you can easily view the Source timecode and set your edit points to match.

Thank you Larry Jordan!

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Are you importing from a camera or camera card structure or archive? If you are importing from a hard drive you cannot make import selections. Depending on the media you could use the QuickTime Player to cut up the clip and generate selections.

View clip or source timecode before importing into Final Cut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.