You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transform a date into a text

Hello.

Can you please tell me if there is any way to get around the absence of Excel's TEXT function in Numbers?

My intention is to transform a date into text, for example, dd-mmm-yyyy into just mmm-yyyy.

My thanks in advance.

Manuel

Posted on Sep 5, 2024 9:17 AM

2 replies

Sep 5, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Tugalike

Are you looking to change the underlying value of the cell? or just the way it's presented?

Normally, if you want a date shown as mmm-yy you can do that through cell formatting, where you can define which elements of a datetime cell you want to show (and is, if I remember correctly), essentially what Excel's TEXT() function does - takes a value and a formatting string to define how to show the value.

Failing that, in the absence of the TEXT() function, you can construct it yourself using text functions like:

=LEFT(MONTHNAME(MONTH(A2)),3)&"-"&YEAR(A2)

(Assuming A2 has a date value)

How to transform a date into a text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.