You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie storage/library/project

I realize there have been similar questions revolving around my concern, but I don't seem to be able to use them for my purpose.

I have a large IMovie library because I create projects from high school volleyball games. I download the entire game to the library, drag them to the dock and from there edit/delete/split etc. So I may have fifteen minutes of game in the library, but only 45 seconds in the dock.

Can I delete the entire game in the library, but still have the 45 clip in the dock? I'm in the process of moving the storage to a separate hard drive from now on, but I still wish to know if I can delete because that would seem to also speed up the opening of Imovie. My apologies if the "dock" is no longer the appropriate term to use for the section where editing is done on individual clips.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 4:41 PM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2024 7:55 PM in response to Flbs

Hi,

Deleting the clips for the entire game will disable the project. The clips that are in a project timeline are tiny sized referral clips the refer to the original clips that you loaded into the library. So when you delete the original clips from the library the clips in the time line have nothing to which to refer. They will turn into black unplayable clips with a question mark in them and the words “missing media”.

—Rich

Imovie storage/library/project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.