You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is it safe to share keychain of MacBook to run diagnostics?

my macbook wasn’t powering on. I went to an apple authorized repair service. They asked for my keychain. When I asked why do they need it? He mentioned “to run diagnostics”. Is that a thing? And how safe this should be?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 1:31 AM

3 replies

Sep 6, 2024 7:37 AM in response to shehabaldin

As Kaz-K said, they'll need your login to your Mac, obviously, but there should be no reason why the tech would need access to any of your other passwords. So while I can't say for sure since I don't know exactly what he/she was asking for, it seems a bit odd to me.

Whenever you have to give login details to anyone else for diagnosis and repair of any of your devices, it's wise once you get the device back to immediately change passwords to your login, Apple ID, and anything else critical; certainly any passwords you gave the tech. While most Apple-authorized service centers are honest, you never know when you'll encounter a bad actor.

Regards.

Sep 11, 2024 6:10 PM in response to shehabaldin

No, an Apple tech has no reason to need your Keychain. Plus Apple's more recently policies are supposed to prevent techs from even asking the user for any passwords at all. If an Apple tech needs to do something within macOS, then the tech is supposed to ask the user to enter their password. The tech is supposed to perform any operations within macOS of an unlocked Mac directly in front of the user so that the user can keep an eye on what the tech is doing to prevent a tech from doing anything nefarious such as looking at personal data.

Never give out any passwords or allow anyone access to your devices without direct supervision. While most techs are probably honorable....some are not.

Is it safe to share keychain of MacBook to run diagnostics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.