You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set chart colours in Numbers for iCloud

I'm using Numbers for iCloud. I have a 2-column, 10-row table with months in the 1st column & numbers in the second. If I select the table & click the chart icon I get a column chart, which is what I want. But each column is a different colour, which is meaningless (the different colours do not represent any data points).

I would like each column to be the same colour; this used to happen automatically up to a few days ago, when they suddenly changed to a different colour per column.

I can't see any option to set the chart columns to the same colour - is this possible in Numbers for iCloud?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 1:13 AM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2024 5:34 AM in response to SGIII

Arg. I thought I had it figured out, but inevitably I now can't replicate the problem.

So let me at least describe what I think is going on

• The source data table has dates down the left (count of rows each month) and dates across the top (the day I captured the data, as I'm tracking change over time)
  • I Hide the columns I'm not using, leaving only the latest day's worth of data
  • So I think this is confusing Numbers; it's trying to guess which is Series & which is Data & concluding that both rows & columns contain Series so it's giving me a multi-series chart - i.e. each bar is a different colour representing a different series of data.

I managed to avoid the issue by Command-clicking the 2 columns I want to plot (column A with the months of the year & column C, for example, with today's stats). But as I say, I now can't replicate the issue...

Attached is a screen print showing the source table & a couple of charts. I had intended to add a 3rd chart showing the problem but, as I say, I frustratingly seem unable to replicate it...

As a last word - I want to express my thanks for everyone who responded to my issue; it's great knowing there's a community out there ready to help, even on a product like Number for iCloud which I imagine is fairly niche

How to set chart colours in Numbers for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.