You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

pages "export to image" DPI

I am making some portfolios to get printed by online services. The online service accepts JPGs. If I set up my pages document to the right size (using the service's templates), I can export the document as a PDF or as JPGs. It saves a step to export as JPGs but when I use this feature, the images are exported at 144dpi. So a 10"x10" page exports as 1440x1440 px. The problem is that I need the JPG to be 3000x3000 px.

Of course I could set up the page to be 3000px / 144px (=20.83") and have the images output at 3000x3000px, but that means adjusting font sizes from my standards.

The other option is to output a PDF and then save each page as a 300dpi JPG from Preview or similar app.

While either is workable, it would be really great to setup the document in real dimensions, and get the JPG output at 300dpi.

Is this at all possible? Seems like it should be!

Any workarounds, including terminal commands?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 3:45 PM

10 replies

Sep 1, 2024 5:31 AM in response to jsr1

You will be better served exporting a JPG from a PDF in Preview than having your image resolution capped by Pages. There is no 300 dpi image solution from Pages, and there are no command-line solutions that would make Pages do that.

Are you on macOS Ventura or Sonoma? I have a Quick Action that splits a PDF into n-tuple 300 dpi images simply by right-clicking on the PDF and choosing Quick Action > Split PDF into Images.

Sep 6, 2024 6:18 AM in response to jsr1

I created a custom 10 x 10 in document in Pages and exported it to PDF. I then ran the following sips command on it and arrived at a 300 dpi 3000 x 3000 pixel image that appeared correctly in Preview:

/usr/bin/sips -1 -M '/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc' perceptual \
-s format jpeg -s formatOptions 100 -z 3000 3000 -s dpiHeight 300.0 -s dpiWidth 300.0 \
-o . kl10_10.pdf

The output file kl10_10.jpg is created in the current directory and is attached:

and the EXIF data:

Sep 3, 2024 1:27 PM in response to jsr1

Does the online service only support JPEG uploads? that seems like an odd restriction.

It seems to me the easiest solution would be to export as PDF. PDF is inherently resolution-independent, and will automatically scale to the appropriate resolution for whatever output device it's being used on.

If the service only supports JPEG, I guess that's what you have to live with, but it might be worth checking into.

Sep 4, 2024 3:34 AM in response to jsr1

Since the online service has provided a template that allows you to submit PDF or JPG, I would completely agree with Camelot to use PDF as the submitted content. Unless… that online service expects you to submit a PDF/X-3 or PDF/X-4 standard PDF in which Apple's PDF Framework cannot produce that PDF standard output.

There is no Shortcut support for exporting Pages document pages as 300 dpi images. I do have a Shortcut that can split PDF pages into 300 dpi JPG or a variety of other image types if that remains an interest.

Sep 4, 2024 7:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

The online service I'm using only accepts JPGs. I know, it's a bit weird for a professional print service, but there it is. FWIW they do an amazing job of lay-flat books in multiple sizes and are the only one I've found that can make lay-flat books with paper covers.

So a utility /short-cut that converts multipage PDFs to JPGs and other image formats (I can think of a few other uses) would be a fantastic help, and I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2024 8:44 AM in response to jsr1

Somehow, I thought that the Shortcut to split PDFs into 300 DPI images was doing that and instead, it currently ignores the explicit 300 dpi configuration and makes the JPG images 72 DPI. So, that probably won't work for your final pixel dimensions or DPI requirements.

There is Apple's sips utility that when I take a Letter size PDF page and convert it to JPG at 300 DPI, it will be the default size of the PDF page (612 x 792). If I tell it to resample width and height to 3000 pixels, I end up with a badly distorted text on a 3000 x 3000 pixel JPG at 300 DPI. Can't image that is what you want either.

I am not seeing how to start with a Letter size PDF page and end up with a legible 3000 x 3000 pixel and 300 DPI JPG. I can produce a 2550 x 3301 pixel 300 DPI JPG image that looks exactly like the original PDF page though.

pages "export to image" DPI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.