You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Snapping Camera Alignment To A Motion Path - Not Viable

With some difficulty I managed to get a camera to follow and align to a 3D Motion Path using the 'Motion Path' and 'Snap Alignment To Motion' behaviours on a camera's parent group ( it doesn't work when these behaviours are assigned to the Camera Layer). Unfortunately when the Snap Alignment behaviour is in play the camera movements become unuseably jerky - even with a RAM preview, a MacStudio and a motion project containing one object. This means the only way to create a 'fly through' on a 3D curve is through a very tedious key framing process.

Anyone else found this issue?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 1:12 AM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Patto

Do you still have the same problem if you turn off Overlays?

Regular canvas overlays can by toggled with ⌘/ (command-slash) and 3D Overlays can be toggled with ⌘⌥/ (command-option-slash).

If you still have problems, we need more details like: what's the shape of the Motion Path and its orientation. Does the camera have to change its angle of view? What is it flying through? etc.

Sep 1, 2024 5:03 PM in response to Patto

I think you're right. Although you didn't provide any details, I did a lot of experimenting with it and I can't get it to behave. Although I don't get a lot of "jerky" movements out of it that you refer to, I get bizarre "flips" (the "target" turns upside down) and "snap backs" (probably related to the flipping effect) when going through simple curves regarless of the parameters I apply. [I'm still in 5.4.7 so Apple *might be* trying to improve its behavior if you don't experience the same things I am.]

Snapping Camera Alignment To A Motion Path - Not Viable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.