You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Clips Won't Unlink

Hi! Please help. For some reason I cannot unlink these clips in iMovie. I've made videos with the picture in picture feature/overlays before and this has never happened to me. I edited all of the top footage (me speaking) and now I can't edit the bottom (the actual tier list screen recording), without deleting the top clips because they are linked, you can see the little tab in the bottom left corner of the top clip.

Please save me from almost crying lol. I attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about. You can see the blue bars are connected. I can't adjust the bottom clips at ALL without deleting/shortening the top clips. On the verge of a meltdown.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2024 3:34 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2024 9:10 AM in response to serenamt

Right. The links are automatically set so you can keep the bottom clips together with the top clips. The work flow would be to edit the bottom clips and then add and edit the top clips. Or, you can create a project with just the top line clips in it, edit it, export it out, and then import it into a project that has only the bottom line clips in it. Overlay it onto the bottom line clips and then edit the bottom line clips. See the third option below.

Make a duplicate of your project first so that you preserve your original. You can then experiment with the duplicate project.

Working with the duplicate project, try selecting the top clips as a group, and then do an Edit/Cut. Now edit your bottom clips and, when finished, do an Edit/Paste to add back the top clips.

Alternatively, you can slide the top clips to a location elsewhere in the timeline. Then edit the bottom clips and slide your top clips back into place.

Here's another way, and this may be the easiest. In your duplicate project, Edit/Cut the edited top timeline clips and Edit/Paste them into the bottom timeline. Then delete the bottom line clips that you previously had. Share out the project with just the previously edited top line videos in it. Then import the shared out movie into a project that just has your bottom line clips in it. The shared out movie will come in as one clip with all of the clips locked in place together. Overlay your shared out movie, as one long clip, above the bottom line clips. Then you can edit the bottom line clips without disturbing the sync of the top line clips.

Looks more confusing when trying to describe it versus doing it. Experiment a little and see if you can get it to work the way you want.

--Rich

iMovie Clips Won't Unlink

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.