You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple audio tracks on iMovie for Mac OS?

Can one have multiple audio tracks on iMovie timeline for Mac OS?

I have iMovie 10.4.2, and Mac OS 14.6.

I also have an interview/audio, stills, and a (public domain) song - I would like to have them all on the timeline. Is this possible? The idea is to hear the interview, interspersed with the song, while the slides play...

Seems pretty basic - used to do that in FCP - but it has been a long while for me, and FCP is long-since gone.

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 12:15 PM

11 replies

Aug 27, 2024 10:52 PM in response to Adcom503

Yes, you can have multiple music tracks in the iMovie timeline. Drag in the first audio track, and then drag in a second clip beside it. Then, with your cursor, pull down the second clip into a lower audio well and slide it into the position that you want. Repeat the process with as many other clips as you want. It will look like this.

As the playhead moves through the timeline all of the audio clips will play simultaneously. However, you can mute the ones that you don't want to play.

And, of course, you can always add audio clips one after the other to play consecutively.

-- Rich

Aug 28, 2024 12:20 AM in response to Adcom503

I assume you are referring to FCP 7 and earlier?

Fear not, there is good news.

Although the latest FCP X costs £299 there is a 90 day free trial. It is completely free with no strings attached. No personal details required . . . just press the Download now button.

Final Cut Pro for Mac - Free Trial - Apple (UK)

At the end of the 90 days it simply stops working unless you decide to buy it.

However, every time there is an update you can download the trial again!

FCP X is similar to iMovie and was originally referred to as "iMovie on steroids" so it is quite easy to make the transition but if you want something more like the old FCP you need DaVinci Resolve which has a completely FREE version and is at least as good as FCP, if not better.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve

Just scroll down to this section and select Free Download Now. It will ask you for name, address, email etc. which is quite harmless but if you prefer to remain anonymous you can just put in any old garbage and it won't know!

Aug 28, 2024 2:36 PM in response to Fritz Lang1

Move your cursor slowly up to the preview screen until it morphs into directional arrows. Then press down and push upward to reveal move of the timeline audio wells. That should reveal as much of the bottom track as can be revealed. Also, from the Settings button above and to the right of the timeline, use the slider to make the clip size as small as possible.

-- Rich

xx

Multiple audio tracks on iMovie for Mac OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.