You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Player Freezes When Jumping to Another Time Point

Hi there,

I'm using a MacBook Air M3 (15 inch, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) running MacOS Sonoma 14.6.1. And noticed my video players (both QuickTime player version 10.5 and VLC 3.0.20 installed from homebrew) would almost freeze when I jump to another time point, the video would freezes for sometimes minutes before it resumes, and sometimes only the audio plays with no video (black screen). Worth noting is playing the video from the start seems to be fine.

For both players, I use default settings (no change of decoder or anything).

I don't have other heavy tasks running at all (just watching that video, CPU 90%+ idle, RAM 5 GB+ available, disk IO close to zero), and the video is in the MacBook internal drive (downloaded lecture, around 1.7 GB, 2 hours, 2K resolution) not from SMB server or something.

Not sure how to export logs for QuickTime, only enclosed the "messages" from VLC at the end.

Any comment would be appreciated!

main debug: VLC media player - 3.0.20 Vetinari
main debug: Copyright © 1996-2023 the VideoLAN team
main debug: revision 3.0.20-0-g6f0d0ab126
main debug: configured with /Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/extras/package/macosx/../../../configure  '--prefix=/Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/build-arm64/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-osx-notifications' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-avfoundation' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-caca' '--disable-pulse' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-vnc' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin19' '--host=aarch64-apple-darwin19' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.7' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk' '--with-breakpad=https://mac.crashes.videolan.org' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin19' 'host_alias=aarch64-apple-darwin19' 'CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-g -arch arm64' 'LDFLAGS=-arch arm64' 'CXX=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -arch arm64' 'OBJC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'OBJCFLAGS=-g -arch arm64'
main debug: auto hiding mouse cursor
main debug: resampling stopped (drift: -590 us)

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 26, 2024 4:33 AM

There are no replies.

Video Player Freezes When Jumping to Another Time Point

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.