You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whennded iMovie get so bad and limited?

I use iMovie infrequently. Years ago, I just jumped in and made a wee movie easily as it was very intuitive. Now, I can't get it to do the things I was able to do years ago. I'm trying to get a video clip fading out over a still image and can't do it. Using the Video overlay controls puts the fade at the start, not the end. I can't find any way to change it. I've tried cutaway and picture in picture. Does anyone know how I can get my video fading out over the still image so the still image gradually appears?

Also, is there anyway to switch on a thing that will tell you what the controls are? There's nothing in settings and nothing pops up when hovering over the controls.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Aug 25, 2024 8:04 AM

6 replies

Aug 25, 2024 8:15 AM in response to Coinneachan ban

This is actually pretty old news. Apple has been slowly dumbing down iMovie for years. Since Apple normally does not explain why they do the things they do, we can only make guesses. Such as, are they trying to push the user to purchase Final Cut Pro for more advanced editing needs? Though I would hardly call a cross-fade "advanced".

Basically, no one here can really answer your question. This forum is populated by other users, and we have no more inside information than you do.

Whennded iMovie get so bad and limited?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.