You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F10 F11 F12 not controling volume on iMac (G3 USB Keyboard)

Hello!

I have a 2013 iMac running Catalina, & I recently acquired and restored a 1998 *Lime* iMac G3 Apple USB Mechanical Keyboard. I just prefer this look & feel, and I hate how flat the bluetooth keyboards are.

However, the Function Keys do not do what they should: F1 and F2 do not control brightness, and more crucially, F10, F11, and F12 do not control the volume. However, when I open Keyboard Viewer, the buttons indeed highlight correctly for brightness or volume settings when pressed. Is there a way to fix this so that they work?

***Side note, Do Not Comment "Go to Settings- Keyboard- Check 'Use F1, F2...'" Because that's not an option- this is not a wireless keyboard with the FN key.***

Any help appreciated! I love the retro G3 Keyboard, It's what I grew up on and intend on keeping.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2024 5:46 PM

12 replies

Aug 21, 2024 5:00 PM in response to pipeorganest

I can't boot into 10.15 right now,but have you...

Gone to the Apple menu > System Settings (or System Preferences) > Keyboard. Then, click the Keyboard Shortcuts button on the right. Choose Function Keys from the sidebar and toggle on the Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys option. 

I have no FN key & in a higher OS looks like this...

F10 F11 F12 not controling volume on iMac (G3 USB Keyboard)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.