You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final Cut Pro 10.8.1 Crashing after opening

I have been trying to Edit for the past two weeks but this damm iMac(Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) keeps crashing. I was on Ventura's most updated version and I was avoiding updating to Sonoma but finally thought maybe that will fix the issue. But it did not. I am using Sonoma 14.6.1 and I can see the Crash Report says the cause is: Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11.

So if there is any advice as to what could be causing this please let me know. Thank you all in advance.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 8:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 1:13 PM

Have you tried resetting the Settings/Preferences?

13 replies

Sep 26, 2024 5:30 PM in response to drumsoul

@drumsoul

• Did you try resetting FCP Settings? That can often solve strange FCP problems.
  • You have Google's Keystone software installed (though not enabled) but the advice around here is to remove everything Google installs using https://chromeisbad.com as a guide.
  • Another thing you could try is temporarily disabling audio plugins in case one or more are not compatible with FCP. The Audio Units are in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/  Rename it to Components.ignore to have FCP bypass loading.

Aug 17, 2024 10:45 PM in response to hokutobill

The first, easy thing to try is resetting FCP preferences. Hold Option and Command while launching FCP and choose Delete Preferences. It will open the default Untitled library. Re-open the library you were working on, set the Preferences back to the way you like them (disable background rendering, reset Import to Leave Files in Place, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

If that doesn't solve it, post an https://etrecheck.com report. Give Etrecheck Full Disk Access in System Settings. Use the "Additional text" button below to paste the report in your reply.

Sep 3, 2024 11:53 AM in response to terryb

Hello Terryb,

I'm updating a large lab with Macs on Ventura 13.15.1 to FCPX 10.8.1 .... Initially they were all freezing upon attempting to open the software... Then I tried the [cmd] [opt] during opening and deleting the preferences. This worked on like 11 out of 18 machines... The remaining ones still crash even after all of this. Outside of a reinstall, do you have any advice? Thank you in advance

Sep 3, 2024 12:52 PM in response to nluna2

What exactly happens on these 7 Macs when you launch FCP? An actual crash?

Can you press the option key after launching FCP to load a different library?

Do they all have the same software installed on them so if you posted an https://etrecheck.com report from one it would be representative of the other six? Be sure to give Etrecheck Full Disk Access in System Settings and paste the report into your reply using the "Additional text" button below.

Sep 27, 2024 1:22 AM in response to terryb

• Yes I did and not even once. I also trashed FCP and install fresh copy of it.

• Will take care of it, thanks

• Will try this too.

Interestingly enough, I still have a copy of FCP 10.7 installed and it works perfectly (just discovered this) on my Mac mini M1.

I had a problem with FCP when I tried to update Mac OS to Sonoma 14.5. It started to behave weird and won't let me work at all scrolling timeline, browser etc. by itself and not letting stop that. So I had to downgrade OS to previous version just to use it. But the same collection of software on my Mac Book Air M1 worked and is still working fine. I read somewhere that such a strange behaviour was Mac mini's specific.

Thank you very much for your time. I hope you might have an idea what the **** is going on my mini.

Final Cut Pro 10.8.1 Crashing after opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.