You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2023 MacBook Pro M3 chip issues with Boot Camp assistant

So I have a hard drive 128 GB and I definitely have enough storage but Boot Camp assistant will not open. I either get an error that my Mac is not compatible so I swapped where to open it at and I can get to the main screen, but when I continue, it says that they had an international error I have opened Boot Camp in the past, but I can't anymore

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 3:57 PM

4 replies

Aug 17, 2024 6:35 PM in response to JJS883

You cannot use Bootcamp on an M-series Mac. I'm surprised you even have the app available.

Your only option is to install Windows into a Virtual Machine, but some functionality will be limited.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-for-using-windows-11-with-mac-computers-with-apple-m1-m2-and-m3-chips-cd15fd62-9b34-4b78-b0bc-121baa3c568c

If you want to use Windows on a Mac on bare metal, then get an older Intel Mac so you can use Bootcamp. Otherwise, just get a real Windows PC where Windows is fully supported.

Aug 24, 2024 7:13 PM in response to JJS883

JJS883 wrote:

Can I connect a Windows PC to a Mac?

What do you mean by connecting a PC to a Mac?

Taking the "connecting" part literally.......You can either do network file sharing between a Mac & Windows PC, or store files on a dedicated NAS (Network Attached Storage) device to store your files centrally to be accessed by any device on your home network. If you want to remotely use apps on the other system, then you would need to use some form of remote management software to access the other system. There are a lot of different remote management/desktop apps out there.

If you mean being able to run Windows on your M-series Mac? Then your only option is running Windows in a Virtual Machine, but this has some limitations. Parallels is the main VM which is able to run an ARM version Windows 11 on an M-series Mac, but you need to read the fine print since there are some limitations.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/options-for-using-windows-11-with-mac-computers-with-apple-m1-m2-and-m3-chips-cd15fd62-9b34-4b78-b0bc-121baa3c568c

https://www.parallels.com/windows-11-arm-apple-m-series/?srsltid=AfmBOoqJBMcvBG3ETF1mbXkmUuquEQOSG0G2__WNG9BqeUgd9OBcmvVd

It is also possible to run the Intel/AMD version of Windows on an M-series Mac by using the UTM software which is a computer emulator & virtualizer. Again, there are some limitations you will need to research, but it will perform slowly because the UTM software needs to emulate an Intel/AMD CPU & hardware while also running a virtualized OS. You will likely not have any GPU hardware acceleration so you will only have basic GPU support.

2023 MacBook Pro M3 chip issues with Boot Camp assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.