You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Best Power Supply upgrade for Mac Pro 2019 Intel

Getting random shutdowns! Looking for the most powerful PSU for a Mac Pro 2019 Intel, 12 core model, 96gigs Ram, regular 580 GPU and extra PCIe Storage-

I’m thinking a more powerful PSU might stop shut downs??

Mac Pro, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 3:26 PM

14 replies

Aug 18, 2024 9:20 AM in response to isliptutoring

+1 on Grant's eval. I've never seen overheating traced to a wonky power supply. Not saying it can't happen, but I've been doing that a long time. and yours would be a first.

Overheating may cause a safety shutdown as a last resort. Historically, overheating is usually either software-related or a workstation airflow problem, not a power supply insufficiency.

An EtreCheck report will go a long way towards a fast resolution to your shutdown problem. It is the single best too we have for effectively helping in this setting where we cannot see, touch, nor remotely access your computer.

Aug 19, 2024 8:41 AM in response to isliptutoring

In addition to CleanMyMac that Grant identified, I see two more apps with "clean" in the name. The macOS has been self-maintaining for over 20 years with elegant, automated routines that do ALL required housekeeping, even defragging when needed. You paid Apple a lot fo $$$ to get that elegance and now it is compromised by interlopers.

The fearware you have installed competes with Apple's excellent maintenance plan and could well be the sole cause of the shutdowns. What you—or someone—has done is equivalent to strapping a bull elephant to a mini-car and expecting it to go faster. If you have a computer service person who recommended all this stuff, it's time to reconsider his contract.

Aug 17, 2024 5:43 PM in response to isliptutoring

Readers here do not have a solution at-the-ready because that has NEVER been a solution to any problem posted here.

Changing/upgrading the Power supply is NOT likely to be the the solution to your seemingly random shutdowns, either. But readers would like to help you find out what IS the reason.

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the System ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

Use Etrecheck pro for free:

http://Etrecheck.com

Aug 18, 2024 10:19 PM in response to isliptutoring

isliptutoring Said:

"Best Power Supply upgrade for Mac Pro 2019 Intel: Getting random shutdowns! Looking for the most powerful PSU for a Mac Pro 2019 Intel, 12 core model, 96gigs Ram, regular 580 GPU and extra PCIe Storage-I’m thinking a more powerful PSU might stop shut downs??"

-------

Uninstall Security Software:

I see there a multiple Security Software apps installed. Are scheduled scans on? Some Security Software shuts down your computer, after it gives it a scan. Also, these may all be conflicting, leading to overheating. IMPORTANT: Use an Uninstaller, rather than just moving the icon to the Trash. Contact the Developer, if you do not know where to get the Uninstaller. Cancel your subscription, if you do not plan to use it in the future. Security Software just gets in the was on a Mac, and this is a pure example of how and why.

Aug 18, 2024 10:58 PM in response to isliptutoring

isliptutoring Said:

"Best Power Supply upgrade for Mac Pro 2019 Intel: I Know, but don’t know how to get rid of them! Apps are gone but these are all remnants from old All from old migrations I guess! I just have one Netgear and that is disabled?? Thanks so much for looking-"

-------

Ridding of the Remnants of an App:

You'll have to reinstall the app, and then use the uninstaller. Contact the Developer.

Aug 19, 2024 7:22 AM in response to isliptutoring

This is the most urgent problem:

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Antivirus software: Apple, Symantec, and CleanMyMac

Symantec and CleanMyMac must GO -- never to return

and this scare-ware as well:

2024-08-14 12:45:36 CoreSecurity.app High CPU Use

First occurrence: 2024-08-14 12:47:06

Executable: /Applications/Bitdefender/CoreSecurity.app

Best Power Supply upgrade for Mac Pro 2019 Intel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.