You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving lost files

Note: This issue is unrelated to my former posts of a week ago regarding forgetting my User password for logging in to El Capitan.

New issue: I have an internal drive in my 2010 Mac Pro that had two partitions. One of the partitions had 400 GB of free space on it, which I needed to make use of. Online I read how to add one or more partitions to an existing partition w/o disturbing any data already on the original partition. I used Disk Utility to do this and divided the original partition into four partitions leaving a large enough partition for the data already stored. When I went to access the now shrunk original partition which should have been full of my original data, there was nothing except a few empty folders.

Nothing is backed up. I know, stupid on my part. I also have not been using Time Machine and apparently, didn’t install a recovery partition for El Capitan which is what I was running when I created the extra partitions. Is there anyway I can retrieve my files? Would something like Disk Drill be a viable option?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 16, 2024 7:55 PM

6 replies

Aug 17, 2024 1:06 AM in response to stopmotion

stopmotion Said:

"Retrieving lost files: Problem solved! Continued to hunt for my missing files and it turns out I had cloned the contents of the partition before wiping it clean and re-dividing it so I do have all my data. A few months had elapsed between adding the extra partitions and trying to access the original data which I had transferred to an external drive. Should have documented at the time exactly what i did."

-------

Report this Fix to Apple Via Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of this fix. Apple barely reads these forums as it is on their own time. So, to get the word out to them, report it to them. Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed. Apple will know nothing of your findings, if you don't report them to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - AirPods - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and the fix. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Aug 24, 2024 7:38 PM in response to stopmotion

stopmotion Said:

"Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't really consider backing up my files on the partition I wanted to re-divide as a fix for a bug however, but rather the safe and recommended way to proceed before dividing an existing partition into a few smaller ones w/o losing any data already stored (on the original partition). The only issue I had was that I had forgotten I had done that (and exactly where I had transferred the data). Thanks for the steps, though. Will retain that info."

-------

You are welcome.

Use of Migration Assistant:

For the future, create a Time Machine Backup, and use the Migration Assistant to grab certain items back. So, crate a backup today, and every-so-often. Note that you'd have to format the drive accordingly.

Aug 17, 2024 12:57 AM in response to stopmotion

Problem solved! Continued to hunt for my missing files and it turns out I had cloned the contents of the partition before wiping it clean and re-dividing it so I do have all my data. A few months had elapsed between adding the extra partitions and trying to access the original data which I had transferred to an external drive. Should have documented at the time exactly what i did.

Aug 24, 2024 9:40 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't really consider backing up my files on the partition I wanted to re-divide as a fix for a bug however, but rather the safe and recommended way to proceed before dividing an existing partition into a few smaller ones w/o losing any data already stored (on the original partition). The only issue I had was that I had forgotten I had done that (and exactly where I had transferred the data). Thanks for the steps, though. Will retain that info.

Retrieving lost files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.