You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Importing Analog VHS to digital to edit in Final Cut Pro X

Hello group.

I'm going to edit together a celebration of life for my mother who passed recently and I'm trying to find a recommendation on how to import old VHS tapes from analog and convert to digital in Final Cut Pro X. If anyone could possibly recommend a analog to digital converter that would SO helpful, and then a process to import for editing.

Thank you so much!

-Tony

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 10:17 AM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2024 3:54 PM in response to ohshowprods

Search for "ClearClick Video to Digital Converter 3.0" on Amazon. I've used this for various VHS and camcorder conversions, including my in-laws', and produced a video like you are planning. $200USD. You can see the video on the built-in screen as it stores it on a USB 'stick' or a micro-SD chip. From there, it's easily imported into iMovie or FCP. The only adjustment I recall was to set the video to 640x480 so the scaling looked right. Some other (cheaper) devices require a computer to watch or review the video. Rechargeable battery lasts plenty long for you to conveniently set it up without a bunch of cords.

Sep 21, 2024 8:50 AM in response to ohshowprods

Hi Tony,

I’m sorry for your loss. I recently went through a similar process and found that LifeFlix works great for converting old VHS tapes to digital. It’s a Mac app that’s really easy to use—just connect your camcorder to your Mac through a converter like a DV or FireWire adapter, and LifeFlix will handle the import. Once the footage is captured, you can export the files in a format compatible with Final Cut Pro X for editing. It was a huge help for me when working with old family videos. Best of luck with your project!

Importing Analog VHS to digital to edit in Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.